The twelve-hour train ride that brought me to Xi'An...the city I didn't expect

Beijing Travel Blog

In the weeks and days before leaving for Xi'An, I filled my head with images of what I thought it'd be like.  After all, pagodas, towers, a Muslim quarter, Great Mosque and the Terracotta Warriors.  Yup, I had high expectations of this city.

I'd taken Thursday off from school, so that's when I packed and did some last minute munchie shopping.  I was still a little run down from the cold, but I was feeling infinitely better.  Plus, I was just plain excited!  It was a harrowing taxi ride from the apartment to GuoMao metro since ther was traffic and our taxi driver wasn't exactly the brightest crayon in the box.  But we made it eventually and met Jan.  Then the four of us (me, Jan, Librette and Donald, another GM teacher).  We went across the city to Wansholou, where it was another taxi ride to the train station.  After going through security, finding our waiting room and finding seats, we waited to see if we could find the other two making the journey to Xi'An with us- Wandi and Paula.  With only Wandi in tow, we made our way to the train where we found Paula.

Me and Wandi shared a room with two other Chinese people while the other four shared a room.  After getting settled on my top bunk, me and Wandi went to the other room to chill for a while.  Then it was lights out and time for sleep.  And when I woke, I would be oh-so-much closer to the self-described city of Xi'An.

photo by: Eric