AsiaChinaXi'an

Terracotta Warriors- nice to meet you again

Xi'an Travel Blog

When we had reserved the tour, we were told that pick-up would be between 9-9:30.  So as we were going down to breakfast at 8:35, I was surprised to hear my phone ring.  It was our tourguide telling us that she was downstairs.  Well, we'd paid for breakfast and we were getting breakfast, so I told her that much and we'd be ready in 10 minutes.  So after a rushed breakfast, we were in the van, going to pick up other people that would be on the tour with us...  And that took next to forever.  At the hostel, we had to change vans since one was for the half-day tour (ours) and the other was for the full-day tour.

Finally, we were on the way.  Of course we didn't go straight there, we had to stop at some government run Terracotta making spot that happened to sell a whole bunch of stuff.
the Great Mosque- me all covered up
  The three of us left there empty-handed.  After that- WARRIORS!  We made it to the hangers where the warriors were.  There were many ooohs and aaahs and for me- my fingers were crossed that my camera wouldn't go kaputt like it did last time on the way back.

The Warriors are amazing when you think about when they were built.  Backstory- The first Emperor of China- Qin Shi Huang- had them built as part of his massive tomb- in about 210 BC.  The statues all supposedly look different, personalized for the army at the time.   From Wikipedia- "Current estimates are that in the three pits containing the Terracotta Army there were over 8,000 soldiers, 130 chariots with 520 horses and 150 cavalry horses, the majority of which are still buried in the pits.
"

Which is why in two of the three pits, not much is seen.  But it was still amazing.

We had lunch on the way back- picked out Chinese food of course, but it was good.  We were the first back to the hotel- thankfully- since the van was so hot!  Nap again- then back out to see the Great Mosque and the Bell Tower.

The Tower was still cool, and no, I didn't ring the bell.  The Mosque was still amazing now as it was a year ago.  I just had to cover up this time since I was wearing a spaghetti-strap tank top.  Thankfully Christina had something I could use.  And I promptly gave it back when we were out of the Muslim section since it was too hot for that!  We had some dinner and headed back to the hotel.
the bell at the Bell Tower
a view of the Drum Tower from the …
a view of the Drum Tower from the…
a view south from the Bell Tower
a view south from the Bell Tower
The mall
The mall
the Great Mosque
the Great Mosque (with Jons back)
the Great Mosque (with Jon's back)
the Great Mosque- and another one