AsiaChinaBeijing

Duck! Hot Pot!

Beijing Travel Blog

Friday was a good day- I slept until 11am.  Too bad I was woken up at 8am by construction, but that's why I have earplugs.  So after I stumbled out of bed, and before I got coffee, Vivi called to tell me about that night's dinner.  Ok, the bus stop across from Viva (mall) at a little more 7pm.  Got it.  Or so I thought.

After making myself useful, and prying myself off of Facebook, I went to the bookstore in Sanlitun to get my Lonely Planet travel guides to Korea and Vietnam so I could start thinking about my trips.  And I got a free cloth bag and T-shirt.  *shrugs*  I never complain about free stuff.  From there to grocery store, then home.

Later on, Vivi called and asked where I was.  She meant to be at that bus stop at a little before 7!  So I hopped in a taxi, showed him where I wanted to go (Vivi had sent a SMS with the bus stop in characters.  I'd found it on the bus map, but it was more time efficient to take a taxi.).  Finally, I met up with Vivi, Leo and two of Vivi's friends.  And we went to dinner.

Okay, hot pot with a duck inside, so Duck Hot Pot!  And it was great!  One big communal pot, but lots of duck for everyone, plus the regular hot pot goodies- we had pork balls, beef, lettuce, sweet potato, dumplings and bamboo-ish stuff that wasn't too good.  There was a lot of laughter, a lot of conversation and a lot of fun.  I had a great time and I'm really glad I got to go to this hot pot restaurant.  I may have to bring the roomie when she gets back.  If I can remember where it is, anyway.

Saturday- lunch with Katherine!  She picked me up around noon, and we went to her house.  Along the way, I found a live a few bus stops from a Super Wal-Mart (not the Jianguo Lu one), another cinema and a Parksons!  I'll check it out next weekend.  She lives outside the 5th Ring Road, so it was a bit of a drive, but on the way I got to scope out Happy Valley (amusement park), I *so* want to go!!  But it'll be very crowded, so not sure if I'll make it.

Lunch was great- Carlsberg beer to share, lots of beef & carrot dumplings and salad.  A little while later, we sat down and talked a lot more over red tea and cheese.  Overall, great, great day.  I even got leftover dumplings and a German beer.  :D

I know this may not seem exciting, but I think it was a great weekend.  Relaxing with friends is a great way to spend some time.  Oh, and watching movies.  Good- Repo! The Genetic Opera.  Not so good- AVP.  Bad- Dragonball Evolution.

Beijing