AsiaChinaBeijing

Christmas and New Years...well...Western New Years anyway

Beijing Travel Blog

Brad, me, Emily

I know I haven’t posted a blog in a long time, so here goes with the updates.  Well, in the last blog I told you about my first trip to IKEA.  Well, I've since had trip #2.  I found this monstor poster of Audrey Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffany's and was so tempted by it, but I resisted.  I did, however, buy a few photo frames and pictures to go in them.  From there, it was my first trip to Lady Street to look at flowers for the classrooms (where I got a nice headache...Daniel wanted flowers...).  I saw fish and almost bought one too...

Since then there’s been two Christmas parties, a New Year’s party, some roommate drama, a lot of fun and a lot of movies in between.  I’ll start with the Christmas parties since I’m trying to go in chronological order.  I came in one Wednesday to be asked what my favorite restaurant was… not that I’d been to enough to really have a favorite other than Papa John’s.

Lucica, Becky, Jan, Roger, Michael
  So I supported Daniel’s bid for Peter’s Tex-Mex since it was really good and I’d always go for their chicken nachos.  After a little while of watching Emily ask the sales team for their restaurant opinions, it was work time.

Somehow I got myself into being a bigger part of the school party than I wanted, but I was up for it.  So me and Emily worked on activities, awards and prizes.   So on top of teaching an extra day because someone was sick, I was in charge of running around for prizes, awards, and my own exchange gift.   It got done…the day of the party.

Anyway, Tuesday was Christmas day.  I got up, got dressed and got picked up.  Daniel picked me up from the apartment’s front gate and we drove to the school to meet Jenny.

Emily
  After we got Jenny, we went out to Fuxingmen to TGI Friday’s (lunch) and a mall where we just walked around and looked at different stores.  So many purses…so little money.  They were real deals- Prada, etc.  Then we visited Amy (a student) at her hotel, got a little tour, and then headed back towards home.  I walked around Fulllink Plaza (mall across the street from school).  Then since Jenny had to work, it was up to me to get me and Daniel to Chongwenmen and to the Soshow market where we got our Halloween bling.  It wasn’t a success for him since he didn’t get anything, but it was good for me- two pairs of earrings and two headbands.

Oh, I don’t think I told you this- but I got my hair chopped, so headbands are pretty important.

me announcing the awards

Anyway, after Soshow, we went our separate ways to get ready for the Christmas party that his girlfriend was throwing at a Thai restaurant.  Yeah, I was going out for Thai and Tex-Mex to celebrate Christmas…  It was a good party, plenty of music, plenty of food and people.  Afterwards, some of us headed to a bar called Shooters (guess what they’re specialty is…).  Anyway, cheap shots with a low alcohol content.  Then we went our separate ways.

Wednesday saw me up and out early since I had last minute things to take care of for the school Christmas party, and I still had 2 classes to prepare for.  I got Music Club that day, which wasn’t a problem since I just did a class on Classic Rock.  Imagine that- getting paid to listen to Hendrix, Pink Floyd and The Who.  The best part- Led Zepplin’s Stairway to Heaven.

Yeah, it was that cool.

Well, after that class was over, Emily and I headed to the restaurant early to start setting up and getting ready for everyone.  We got ready in time, as Brad was the next to appear, then everyone else.  A good time was had by all, and plenty of food too.  I just have to tell you about the five awards we gave out because I’m pretty proud of them.  Now, two I picked up from a website but thought that they were so cool.  They are-

The Sweetest Thing- for the sweetest person

Cheer Bear Award-  always smiling and cheerful

Drinking the Water in Mexico Leadership Award- fearlessly faces challenges as the biggest risk taker

Kool and the Gang Teamwork Award- for the person who has demonstrated excellence in group work

The What’s Your Address Again? Award- given to someone who “lives” at the office

And even though I was vote counter and therefore ineligible to win any of these, I still got nominated for The Sweetest Thing, Kool and the Gang, and the What’s Your Address Again? awards.

Jan and Emily at Pili Pili

The holiday after that was New Year’s and it was a good party.  We went to Lady Street to an African restaurant named Pili Pili.  I had the chicken couscous.  Emily had a whole damn chicken, that was pretty entertaining to watch, but she did it.  All in all, it was great!

So after dinner, we headed to Sanlitun find a bar to ring in the New Year.  We were going to go Shooters, but it was crowded, so we went to a place called Pure Girl.  It was still good, plenty of shots and fun, except for this weird and extremely drunk guy that wouldn’t leave us alone.  He hit both me and Claire (an Aussie friend of a student’s) on the head and bothered our favorite mild-mannered Brit Jan enough to almost start a fight.

Emily's chicken
  Then Daniel, me, his girlfriend and one of her friends went to this place called China Doll (more of a club, but at least I had a decent shot of Jager, so it was good).  Then it was home for the night.

So yeah, I’ve watched plenty of movies since my arrival in Beijing.  I had three to watch on my last 2 days off, and then there was Twin Peaks (season 1).  Weird doesn’t even begin to describe it.  But I love Kyle MacLaughlin’s character.  Especially the coffee, pie and Douglas fir.  You have to watch it to understand it.  So I'm looking into Twin Peaks Season 2 and finding more movies to watch.

And yes, I’m keeping a list of the movies I’ve seen since coming to China.

I’m that strange.