The longest flight ever...

Beijing Travel Blog

Thirteen and a half hours.  This moderately claustrophobic girl was stuck in a plane for close to 14 hours.  Can ya tell that wasn't my idea of a good time?  At least I got to see Fantastic Four 2 (2x over).  Glad I liked the movie the first time around.  They did show episodes from each of the CSI franchises (CSI:LV- Lab Rats, CSI:M- the one with the high-tech divorce, CSI:NY- Past Imperfect).  I did manage some sleep, being lulled by my 80s playlist on my MP3 player.  The food was alright, nothing to rant or rave about.  But we did get a little cup of Haagen-Daaz (sp?) vanilla ice cream.

Getting through customs and all that was fine, just a line to have my passport stamped (and it got stamped a little over my Budapest one).  Then it was off to baggage claim, then to find the person meeting me at the airport.  It was a long ride to the hotel because of traffic and the fact that it was wet and misty out.  Once in the hotel, I commited a traveler's cardinal sin- I took a nap.  But it was early enough and short enough that I don't think it'll really matter.

The Director of Studies for the school I'm teaching at swung by with some information for me (including the all-important schedule) and it looks like I'll be getting a SIM card for my phone tomorrow.  Now I know that I have the weekend before I go to the school on Monday.

One thing I remember thinking on the way to the hotel as I was looking at all the other cars was-

I see a Ford, a Chevy, a Mini-Coop, a few VWs... there is definitely some capitalism going on here.  Combine that with the English on some signs...

I just might be okay.

Just maybe.

mikedag says:
If you get a chance, make sure you take a trip to Hong Kong. The still present British influence makes it a very different experiance than the Mainland, and an enjoyable one. Have fun,
Posted on: Apr 21, 2008
gentry591 says:
Wow-I'm impressed. Should be a great adventure for you this next year. Will keep up with your blog as wife and I are comming to China and Tibet in April. Have a wonderfull year
Posted on: Sep 19, 2007