EuropeItalyRome

Violent Old Men and the World Cup

Rome Travel Blog

I had an unusual bus ride to work today. While I was on the bus, a 70-year-old Italian man stood right in the middle of the one-lane street in front of us, forcing the bus to stop. The reluctant driver let him on. Another Italian man of the same age sitting in the front row was furious, screaming at the new passenger. As they were yelling at each other, I chuckled to myself, thinking this was so charmingly Italian. But then the man who was first on the bus started punching the other one. Then the other guy spat his gum at him. This became very uncomfortable for me, since I was in the second row. Other people on the bus told them to stop and a younger man stepped in between them. I think someone told me in Italian that I should have intervened, and maybe I should have, but I got flustered and didn't know how much good an English-speaker could have done.

After work I went to a small pub in Frascati to watch the Italia-Czech Republic game. It was a great atmosphere. After Italy's victory, tons of people took to the streets, blowing air horns and waving flags. Cars made several laps around the public square, honking their horns for over an hour.

joyc says:
I'll bet if there were nimble pickpockets on that bus, that such an incident would have provided the perfect distraction. Just a thought. Beware. Glad you're OK.
Posted on: Jun 25, 2006
joyc says:
Max, you were a foreigner on the bus. Any action to intervene --- especially given the fact you didn't understand what was being said --- could have been misunderstood, and certainly not in the best interests of all parties concerned. The fight was broken up anyway, yes? Italians can get so spirited over many of the typical little disturbances of mankind in general --- part of their charm, one could say
Posted on: Jun 24, 2006