EuropeItalyRome

Crucial World Cup Victory #2

Rome Travel Blog

We checked out of work early today to go watch Italy play Australia in the first elimination round. The game was projected in a big lecture hall at the university, holding around 300 people. I watched the last match in a low key pub, and this was the exact opposite. People would shout and make gestures at every foul and scoring opportunity. My professor told me that although everyone wanted Italy to win, people's allegiance to the teams of their home town ran deep. Most students support Juventus, the team from Rome, so whenever an Italian player from rival AC Milan would make a mistake during the game, people would shout that they're terrible. I thought this mixed loyalty was funny. Almost the entire game was scoreless. Although Italy were the favorites, one of the players go a red card in the second half. Australia had more ball posession and was getting some close chances. But in the last 10 seconds of the game, Italy got a penalty shot. Everyone erupted. It was even louder than when I watched the game in England, for the room was a big echo chamber. When the goal was scored, people were screaming at the top of their lungs and clapping for over a minute. This is exactly the kind of World Cup experience I was hoping for. There will be more to come too.
Rome