Yorktown under the cover of darkness

Yorktown Travel Blog

Yorktown Victory Monument at night

While the family relaxed at Kingsgate, I went out to take yet more photos in the afternoon. I traveled up Richmond Road to Toano to get a few more photos (including the Historic Triangle sign and Hickory Neck Church). Rain came up by later afternoon about the time I returned, putting to rest any idea that dd, bf, and I would go mini-golfing at Pirate's Cove. It was nearly dark by the time were ready to venture forth for dinner. But first, the destination by unanimous choice was Yorktown. Our daughter wanted to see Cornwallis' Cave again by night. (We'd seen it on a Yorktown Ghost Tour a few years ago, and it is a spooky place.

Cornwallis' Cave at night
) We headed off on the Colonial Parkway again, this time towards Yorktown. The Parkway to Yorktown is quite different than the Jamestown route. There are a few scenic pulloffs along the York River, but the road mostly travels through several Naval reservations.

At Yorktown, we stopped to see the illuminated Yorktown Victory Monument. The Victory Monument commemorates the defeat of Lord Cornwallis and his British troops at Yorktown in 1781 by George Washington, the Continental Army, and the French Navy. The British surrender at Yorktown on 19 October 1781 essentially marked the end of the American Revolution.

Drat! I didn't have my tripod for a proper night shot of the illuminated monument! I did my best and have posted the result.

Continuing into Yorktown, most everything was closed.

Me at Cornwallis' Cave
We thought about having diner in the Carrot Tree restaurant at the historic Cole Digges House. Unfortunately, it closed at 8:00 p.m. and it was already 7:50! So, we went on to objective-- seeing Corwallis' Cave at night. The cave is down by the York River, near the beach. Legend has it Lord Cornwallis hid in here. But, more likely it was used as a British gun emplacement. It's sealed off with a metal grate and has a forebidding look about it. So, we had fun taking photos of each other and the cave. Now, only the photos of our daughter have those mysterious orbs floating about. Hmm.

After our visit to the cave, we walked back to the car via the beach, drove by the historical structures in Yorktown (the historic area in Yorktown is very small--much smaller than Williamsburg) and headed back to the Colonial Parkway. Every time we leave Yorktown at night, it seems to rain. I rained this night, too. The Colonial Parkway at night in the rain is very dark indeed, with overhanging trees and no lane makings. You must use high beams and be aware of oncoming traffic.

Back in Williamsburg, we went to Pierce's again. But it was now 9:00 p.m. and Pierce's had closed. (Williamsburg closes early on a Saturday night.)  Truth to tell, we ended up back at Chick-fil-A, But, we don't have those in Fairfax County and the Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad is very good.

jennjeff1 says:
Andy, I will be visiting Yorktown on Friday as part of my joint Masters-level course. I hope to get more familiar with this significant part of American history! ~Jeff
Posted on: Apr 20, 2008