The Road to Strasburg

Strasburg Travel Blog

Strasburg Hotel

Belle Grove was closed, but we'd had a chance to learn a bit of Civil War history at Middletown. What to do now?  We headed further on down Route 11 to see Strasburg, another picturesque Valley market town. Strasburg has changed since I last visited, around 1987. There was now a cappucino bar on the main square, sharing space with many antique shops. We drove around town a bit, admiring the turreted and well-maintained Victorian homes and shady streets. The downtown Hotel Strasburg, long a fixture for Route 11 travelers, has been remodeled and is gaining a reputation as a B&B destination.

The Strasburg Museum is housed in the former Southern Railway station. But, even before it was a railway station, the building was the Strasburg Stone and Earthenware Manufacturing Company.

Strasburg Museum
  A very interesting example of adaptive use and reuse over the years! The museum has informative exhibits about the town and life and industry in the Valley. One is reminded the Valley is not entirely agricultural, there was and is manufacturing industry here, too. There are two forlorn looking pieces of railway rolling stock outside to tie into a Valley transportation theme.

Across from the museum, older vernacular industrial and commerical structures have been adapted into an antiques center.  My wife and I went over to explore. The center has a wide range of antique furniture and china, bric-a-brac, memorabilia, and paper. I paused at a collection of postcards, finding several interesting examples of Washington, DC, and Skyline Drive matte postcards from the 1940s in excellent condition. A fellow came up to also browse the postcards. He lamented that the selection was poor--that there were few local cards of local scenes. I offered that it would be unusual to find local cards in an antiques shop, as postcards would have been sent elsewhere. (I thought about the 1909 postcard of Santa Monica, California, that I once found in Bath, England!)

dahling says:
It does not really look like the Strassburg I know ;)
Posted on: Aug 08, 2008
sylviandavid says:
sounds like a neat town to tour.... antique postcards... that's an unusual thing to collect..
Posted on: Oct 30, 2007