The New Road to Occoquan

Occoquan Travel Blog

 › entry 21 of 107 › view all entries
Occoquan Historical Marker

Monday was the President's Day Holiday in the USA. (Lest you have come to think we have too many national holidays in the USA, this is the last one until Memorial Day at the end of May!)  What shall we do today, Susan and I discussed. Our daughter had already left with friends on a day trip to Fredericksburg, VA. The day was so nice! By 11:00 a.m. it was already sunny and about 65 degrees F (around 18C). What a difference from the prevous day! People were jogging around the neighborhood in T-shirts and shorts.

Mount Vernon, the Home of George Washington is always open free of admission on President's Day.  We knew that would be mobbed! The nearby Woodlawn Plantation historical site announced it would be open for only 99 cents admission.

Riverwalk Shops
No, we wanted to have lunch. So, we deiced to go to Occoquan, a quaint riverside community just over the county line in Prince William County, Virginia.

It's much easier to drive to Occoquan from Springfield now than it used to be. Route 123 (Ox Road dating from colonial times) has been widened from two to six lanes to enable commuters from Prince William County to get to jobs in the western parts of Fairfax County. The road improvements are also intended to foster development in the southern part of Fairfax County. Occoquan lies just across the Occoquan River from Lorton in Fairfax County. A two-lane highway bridge across the small river has been replaced by a six-lane bridge.

Occoquan Visitor Center
This area used to be the site of many traffic delays and tie-ups but traffic now zips along the new road.

After crossing the Route 123 bridge, a right turn on Commerce Street takes one directly into Occoquan. Things were busy here too, but manageable. Ample free public parkng is available underneath the bridge off of Mill Street. From there, it's easy to walk around the town. Occoquan was founded as a river port (Occoquan River is a tributary of the Potomac River) and shipped tobacco, flour, and cornmeal, among other products. One interesting historical note: during the Civil War, Occoquan was the transfer point for mail between North and South. Later, as river traffic declined and the railroad and new highways bypassed the village, Occoquan slipped into relative obscurity.

Occoquan marina and new Route 123 bridge

We decided to first have lunch at Madigan's Waterfront Restaurant, opting for inside seating. While we enjoyed our crabcakes, a cold front came in from the north. Around 2:00 p.m., the sky clouded and the tempaerature dropped. People began to come inside  from the riverside terrace.

After lunch, we explored a bit along Mill Street. Occoquan is today a quaint collection of adaptively reused sructures (the Town Hall is a former church) and new construction done in period architecture. Original structures represent eras from the mid-18th century to the early 20th century. There are several restaurants in town along with boutiques, tea rooms, and speciality shops selling clothing, jewelry, home goods, themed goods, gourmet foods, and antiques. Susan's favorite shop here is The Irish Collection. Occoquan affords numerous photo opportunities and there were as many people wielding cameras around the town (including me) as there were shoppers and diners. At the far end of Mill Street are the Mill House Museum, above the ruins of Merchant's Mill, and the 1758 Rockledge Mansion (a stone Georgian house open by appointment). We spent some time looking around the town until a steady rain came up and it was time to head for home. 

ubirds says:
Well done :)
Posted on: Feb 21, 2008
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Occoquan Historical Marker
Occoquan Historical Marker
Riverwalk Shops
Riverwalk Shops
Occoquan Visitor Center
Occoquan Visitor Center
Occoquan marina and new Route 123 …
Occoquan marina and new Route 123…
Mill Street
Mill Street
Mill Street
Mill Street
This shop dates from 1860 and was …
This shop dates from 1860 and was…
Mill Street historical marker
Mill Street historical marker
Lighthouse paraphernalia at Miller…
Lighthouse paraphernalia at Mille…
This shop dates from 1760
This shop dates from 1760
Rockledge Mansion (1758)
Rockledge Mansion (1758)
Occoquan River
Occoquan River
Ruins of Merchants Mill
Ruins of Merchant's Mill
Mill House Museum
Mill House Museum
Occoquan Sights & Attractions review
Museum at the Mill
The Mill House Museum is located in the former miller’s office of Merchant’s Mill. Merchant’s Mill was in operation from 1759 to 1924 and the ru… read entire review
Occoquan Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Lunch at Madigan's Waterfront
Madigan's Waterfront is a very pleasant riverside restaurant in the quaint village of Occoquan, VA. Madigan's is an excellent stop during a visit to O… read entire review
Occoquan
photo by: Andy99