Hendy Woods: Our Cabin under the Giant Redwoods

Boonville Travel Blog

The closest town to Hendy Woods is called Boonville. Yah, Boonville. That's like naming your town "The Cuts" or something.

Surprisingly, Boonville is known for more than just being in the middle of nowhere. It has its own beer, Boont Beer. Boont coasters often claim that Boonville has its own dialect, but we didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

Hendy Woods is a state park with a few nice hiking trails among pretty redwood groves. Three distinct environments along the main trail give the area a surreal feal. First, there's sandy beach by the river where you can wade into the freezing waters, the scenery awash in whites and greys. Next, the main area of the trail leads under the redwood canopy, where you can admire the redwoods rising above, and climb on the fallen ones, their red-orange trunks slowly sinking into the green and brown earth.

Lastly, the trail leads out into a wide feild -- in the middle stands one big, lone oak, just begging to be climbed.

I guess having grown up in Northern California, I'm not as impressed with redwoods as I should be anymore. I fell in love with that big oak tree instead -- it was the perfect climbing tree!

We got a little cabin with just a bare bunk bed and a tiny stove for the night. It was pretty cheap and we had the whole area to ourselves.

Just out of the park, you can admire the Mendocino farmland -- adorable sheep herding around their even more adorable lambs, stretching apple orchards offering fresh cider, and, of course, the wineries. Free tasting, anyone?

annthansten says:
This is an enchanted forest, right? like in the fairytales? Love this entry, awesome pictures. I want to go here!
Posted on: Jan 05, 2014
lambs
lambs
redwood fallen over
redwood fallen over
Thats me, climbing up the oak
That's me, climbing up the oak
Boonville