Watching Ships on the Panama Canal

Panama City Travel Blog

Miraflores Locks

In the morning, we caught a cab to the Miraflores Locks.

Once again, the book was wrong. We got there an hour before it opened. The cabbie was very nice and took us to a place to get breakfast while we waited. He did ask for more money at the end of the trip though, which we were cool with based on the extra time. I think we ended up paying $25 between the two of us for 3 hours.

The entrance fee for the locks was I believe $8 full price, and $3-5 with a student ID. I brought my ganky ID I got for taking a French class this summer at CCSF. Poor Atousa, who actually goes to school, didn't bring hers and had to pay full price.

We watched the ships for a while. It was cool to see the little robot things that they attach the ships to and the big oil riggers. There's an intercom that broadcasts interesting info on the canal.

As you enter the locks, you'll pass over the remnants of the failed French canal, which was kinda sad and comical at the same time.

Be sure to ask your cab driver to go through Balboa on the way there or back. The historically American area is drastically different from the rest of Panama City, with big white houses on neatly mowed greened lawns. It didn't look like there was much to do there, but it definitely worth a drive-through to see the contrast.

photo by: Biedjee