Monteverde Ziplines

Monteverde Travel Blog

Ready for ziplines

We did the first zipline trip in the morning. You're harnessed in and shoot down a series of increasingly longer and higher lines. For some, you might have to use your hands to help you stop by putting pressure on the lines. Don't worry, they give you big mildew smelling padded gardening gloves.

The best part of the trip is the surprise rappel. They don't tell you it's coming, they just simply strap you in while you're wondering where the zipline is, call out "RAPPEL" and send you falling a few stories down. It's funny to hear everyone's reactions on the way down. Atousa and I were the only ones that automatically cursed. My camera was lucky enough to capture Atousa's face as she cry of "Whaaatt the Fuuuuccckkkk" peirced throught the woods.

Next was the tarzan swing, where you fall face forward off a platform and go swinging over a clearing in the forest.

Monteverde bus stop
Way fun, not stomach churning at all like I was expecting.

The trip ends with some super long ziplines over giant clearings where you can see very far around you. There's one zipline where you go in pairs. Sometimes people get stuck and have to dangle in the middle of the cord until the zipline guys come get them.

We got back into town in time to catch the next bus to San Jose. We had debated between going north to Managua or going back to San Jose, but the next bus to Managua was the next morning, so we figured we'd get an extra day in Guatemala if we headed to San Jose instead.

Just my opinion on Monteverde: Don't go if you only have 1 day.

me on the tarzan swing
Maybe it would have been cool if we had time to go hiking, but I didn't see anything special about the place that made it different from other forests back home. I guess I was expecting something as cool as the Amazon, but all I saw was Santa Cruz.

But, then again, I'm not a big bird-watcher which i hear is really good there. Ziplines were cool, but there are other places throughout Central America that you can do them. I'm not sure if they are of the same caliber, as the ones in Monteverde are reputed to be the best. Not that Monteverde wasn't cool, but if you're on a fast paced schedule, it might not be worth all the travelling time.

On the plus side, the weather in Monteverde was awesome, nice and cool with fresh mountain air... just like Santa Cruz...

Atousa on ziplines
Atousa on ziplines
Atousa mid-rappel
Atousa mid-rappel
Closeup of the same picture of Ato…
Closeup of the same picture of At…
Monteverde