La Fortuna Waterfall

La Fortuna Travel Blog

Vulture

Early the next morning, I went out by myself to La Fortuna Waterfall. I consulted a map on the table outself Cabinas El Boohoo, which I now know was ridiculously not in scale. The walk itself was over 6km (4 miles?), uphill in the sun. Further than I thought, but not too bad had I not been wearing by silly pink jellies with no traction and even thinner soles.

The morning walk was actually really cool, past rolling Costa Rican farmland and, in the later parts, up to nice hills overlooking jungle. I saw a bunch of animals, including a vulture sunning its wings, farm kitties, and chickens who thought I was stopping to feed them when I stopped to take pictures and started to surround me. There was a dude herding his cows from one field to another. One of the cows got away and hid behind his car.

Rainbow over La Fortuna waterfall

Along the road, there were several places where you could rent ATV's or mopeds to explore the area.

After you pay the $7 entrance fee to the waterfall, it's another 20 minute walk down a giant jelly-unfriendly hillside to the waterfall. La Fortuna waterfall is 70 meters high and falls into a gorgeously blue swimming hole. There's also a fun rock scramble and rapids connecting the pool to other swimming holes. The force from the water is too much to get directly under the waterfall, but it's really cool feeling the waves from the pummeling water.

I walked into a connected swimming hole at the base of some rapids to get a picture. Near the center, the depth dropped unexpectedly, and down I went. The force of the water stole my stupid jellies and ripped the contacts out of my eyes.

Rapids
After some swimming down to the bottom I recovered the jellies but spent the rest of the day half blind. (Me, back at the hotel: "I lost my contacts", Atousa: "I know, you're squinting one eye at me when you talk")

There's some nice vantage points along the trail to the waterfall where you can take some good pictures. At one, I could see a perfect rainbow arching over the pool.

I hitched a ride back toward town with some tourists and only walked about a mile back to town. Along the main road, up toward the volcano, there are a stretch of more upscale volcano-themed resorts and lodges.

There's also a free swimming hole closer to town that I didn't go to, but I heard it's pretty cool. It's got a small cascade, but as I'm  a huge fan of waterfalls, I opted for the big one.

Costa Rican Kitty
Costa Rican Kitty
Curious poultry
Curious poultry
La Fortuna waterfall from afar
La Fortuna waterfall from afar
In the swimming hole under the wat…
In the swimming hole under the wa…
La Fortuna