Bricktown Oklahoma City

Oklahoma City Travel Blog

Over a year ago, my friend started taking me out to eat, shop, and see a movie on Friday nights. I'm glad that we started making Bricktown the destination for our outtings. I work in a library, so I like to provide links if I can.

Bricktown is named for the brick streets that have been restored in some places. Bricktown used to be a warehouse district. The buildings still have painted signs of the businesses that built them.

Besides the great places to eat and shop, which I will get to after this, there is the look and feel of the place. A canal runs through Bricktown. Trees and landscaping grow along its banks. Some sculptural pieces can be seen along the canal at certain points. To see my favorites, huge bronze statues of cowboys, horse, and wagons made for Oklahoma's upcoming Centennial, you need to follow the canal away from the shops and restaurants, under the highway. Most people don't walk down far enough to find them.

If you walk along the canal walk way past Chelinos, you will wind around to my favorite fountain. It has water spouts that come up from the concrete. Kids can run through this trying to avoid the water. Water taxies run down the canal. Horse drawn carriages also go down the streets on weekends. Recently, a rowing center has opened up along the Oklahoma river. You can see the unusual building from Bricktown.

Bricktown is mostly restaurants. I don't have much money, so I like to go to restaurants that have meals around or under $10. Some of the restaurants along the canal have patios where you can look out at the canal.

The places I go to again and again are (in no particular order):

Chelino's. They have a buffet at night that I enjoy. You get a lot of food for a under $10. I love their carne asada tacos (I think it's called something else on the menu). The have a two story patio to dine on as well.

Bourbon Street is in the building where my grandfather used to work as a pharmacist. They have New Orleans style cuisine. The original wood beams on the ceiling add character to the place. I love their strawberry delight, bread pudding, and cheesecake. Live bands play on weekend nights at this restaurant and others.

Spaghetti Warehouse You can eat inside a cabouse, bed, or at tables. I love reading the old signs that decorate the walls. Their prices are reasonable and the food is good.

Zio's has a patio outside overlooking the canal. I've dined out there before. Most of the time I dine inside. The food is better than spaghetti warehouse. They have great deserts. They also make a good cappuchino.

Crabtown The waiters there wear "Got Crabs?" t-shirts. I recommend the crab cakes, stuff crab. The Ramoulade (I don't think I spelled that right) dressing is awesome. I've had it with a seafood salad they have. The seafood salad came out in a huge bowl. I love their turtle cheesecake.

Hideaway Pizza Great pizza. My sister first took me to the one near OU. I'm glad to know that I don't have to drive that far to get their pizza now!

Uncommon Grounds is the place to go in Bricktown for coffee. Don't be alarmed if the owner's dog comes up to greet you. The dog just wants you to pet him.

As for stores, there are several Native American art shops I like to visit. The laughing fish is a fun gift shop to go into. It is next to Zio's. Across from Harkin's theatre on Reno is a store (the name escapes my name). They have western gifts, old style metal toys, and other interesting things inside. They make homeade fudge. They give free samples, and you can buy it by the piece. I love the Creamsicle.

Some other things to see: The bricktown ballpark has some beautiful bronze statues outside of famous Oklahoma born ballplayers. Harkin's theatre is where I go to see movies. The museum of art, Oklahoma City Rocks (for all the rock climbers out there), bombing memorial are not far away.

Other Bricktown area attractions

Coupons for Bricktown Restaurants are Also coupons for all of oklahoma. From

Bricktown's Official Website

Oklahoma Gazette Free paper that covers upcoming attractions and has readers vote for the Best of OKC restaurants each year.

travelman727 says:
Thanks for the great information! I'm heading down to Oklahoma City next month and will be sure to check out Bricktown and some of your favorite haunts :-D
Posted on: Nov 14, 2006