Lisbon, Sintra, Belém & the Portugal's Beaches!

Lisbon Travel Blog

sintra!
Wow! What a great weekend :) We headed out to Lisbon on the smallest plane I've ever been on (19 passenger jet).  On our approach we had to circle the city and we saw the entire coastline at sunset-pretty cool! From there the Rehfeld's took us under their wing and gave us such a great weekend! Thursday night was a visit to what will be known as the 14 Brazilian Meats. Every 15 minutes or so the owners would bring out two or three new types of steak or ham for us to consume.  The best part was a little wooden stick that was half green and half red that indicated whether or not to bring more meat. I'm pretty sure we let it go for at least 14 rounds and I was a happy camper.

Friday was our trip to Sintra, which is a town about a half hour from Cascias by car and is home to three big time attractions.
views.
  The palace, the castle, and the moorish palace (I think?). All three were grand and boasted some incredible views after a little hiking.

Saturday was our trip to the city of Lisbon (Lisboa) and was an adventure! We hopped on a train from Cascias to Lisbon which took us along the coast for a nice scenic route where I could read through the Rick Steve's guide Judy gave me.  We went up to another castle to get a great view of the bridge that looks like the Golden Gate in SF and the 330-foot Jesus statue that protects the city.  Next we set off through the winding roads of Old Lisbon and managed to find our way to the main square which faces the coast.  Belém is a smaller city very close to Lisbon so we took the train there to see Vaso de Gama's tomb, a few gigantic monuments, as well as an excellent tart dessert stop.

Sunday was our day to sleep in, enjoy the beach, and relax.  The pictures show how beautiful the beach was and how close we were!  We finally loaded up and headed back to the airport around 3pm, said bye to the Rehfeld's less Jason, and waited for our late flight back home.
castle!
castle!
westernmost part of europe.
westernmost part of europe.
Lisbon