EuropeItalyRome

Cuando a Roma!

Rome Travel Blog

Vatican City.
Rome is wonderful! We had about a day and a half to walk through the city and somehow managed to see about everything! The first night started with a metro ride to the COLOSSEO and it was cool because the metro stop let off right in front of it so when you walk out the front it's like BAM! We spent the night walking around and getting lost in Roman streets, only to find historical stuff on almost every corner. It is definitely an "open museum" and I felt like I was walking through history. Because we didn't start exploring until about 5pm, we were not able to go into anything (but we made up for it the next day!).  Although we did go into the Pantheon. Our dinner was at a little italian place that was probably a little over our price range, but oh well! Quality, not quantity.
outside the Coliseum.
I'll leave it at that! And despite the cold and windy conditions, we managed to down some gelato before heading back to our hostel.

Saturday was a blur but AWESOME! We started out by getting down Vatican City on the most crowded metro I've been on since Amsterdam a long time ago (2001?).  We arrived to a line longer than that of the new finding nemo ride at Disneyland (just a guess... 1-2 hours).  An excellent salesman figured that the six of us were prime targets to sell a "go-to-the-front-of-the-line-and-have-a-private-tour-for-money".  We were hooked and it turned out to be worth every euro (we won't think about how many dollars we spent-that's getting more depressing by the day). It was beautiful in many ways, as was the Sistine Chapel and St.
inside the Coliseum.
Peter's Basilica. We did not have time to tour the Basilica, but we made it to the huge square at the heart of Vatican City. This was cool because I've seen it on tv quite a bit and to be there was an experience (see pictures).  Oh, inbetween this we squeezed in a quick pizza lunch. In the afternoon we went back to the area we had visited the night before but with tours and more pictures. And oh did we buy trinkets! I think Christmas shopping is done for the most part. There are so many street vendors which makes it pretty hard to hold your ground.  That night we found a great place to eat right in front of the Pantheon. Some time to rest our feet from 10 hours of walking and to enjoy good food with the guys. Next stop: San Sebastian, Nov. 16. And Dallas comes on the 17th! Party!
inside the Coliseum.
by the Spanish Steps looking into …
by the Spanish Steps looking into…
Vatican.
Vatican.
we found the Roman soldiers.
we found the Roman soldiers.
Rome