Barcelona Fútbol and Various Adventures

Barcelona Travel Blog

sweet seats!
I love Barcelona! This was probably my favorite weekend thus far due to the greatest that was the FC Barcelona game on Saturday night.  We arrived early Saturday morning after saying bye to Dallas and Brandon (who already made it to Barcelona) around 2am local time and crashed at our hostel.  But not without incident. Remind me to tell you about angry hostel-mate and the greatness of Phil, Scott and Will.

In the morning we got out into the crowded streets, but not before meeting a guy from San Diego at our hostel. He let us know that the fútbal game had been moved to tonight (Saturday) so our plans changed slightly. We crusied down the main street full of shops and more street performers than any other city.
penalty kick!
We decided to just walk instead of a bike or bus tour and I'm glad we did. We went out to the harbor and moved around the streets up to another market area on our way to the Picasso museum. There we spent a few hours checking out lots of paintings and then some extra time in the gift shop. They took plastic so I spent more than I should have but enjoyed every minute of it. Then we walked through more and more streets with shops that we just had to go into, including a cool tea shop and a store called "Happy Pills" :) Okay it was just a store with candy.  Then we had to get back to eat and get to the game! So we found a place a few blocks from the stadium that had unquie pizzas that we cut with a cool knife (see photos).

THE GAME: First of all, the stadium is enormous. We're talking 100,000+ crazy Spaniards of all ages, including the six year old with the blow horn behind us, yelling and cheering.
Brandon y yo.
Next, our seats were amazing for the game we saw. Will, Niki and i were bout thirty rows back behind the home goal and closer to the corner flag than the goal.  The first half was rather uneventful, but when the second half rolled around we had the perfect view of all three Barcelona goals (a header, a normal shot, and a penalty kick)! I also met up w/ my friend Brandon who was in Barcelona for the weekend visiting friends which was a blast, and kind of crazy considering we are half way around the world from home.  We ran into each other randomly later than night which is crazy because of how big the city is but it was awesome!

The next day was long and a blur! We walked all over the city to this church (can't remember the name) and spent some time at the official FC Barelona store to buy more fútbol gear.
classic.
  Then we walked up to another point overlooking the city and grabbed a quick lunch before getting to the Olympic Village area which also included the palace/castle/really big fountains and waterfalls.  The stadium was smaller than I would have expected but still cool to think of what went on there.  By now we were all pretty tired so we took the metro back and got ready for our much anticipated meal at the Hard Rock Barcelona.  It was definitely everything we expected, and more. Typical loud music but with more screens than I've seen at others and very American food. Yay!  After we said by to Juliann and Nicole  as they had to catch a bus back to France. We spent some time at the hostel common room and then headed to the airport at midnight for a most enjoyable night in the warm and cozy airport... First and probably the last time any of us will willingly do that :)

To end, we had an easy flight out to arrive in Bilbao just before 8am.  Then Phil, Niki, Danielle and I grabbed a cab and made it in time for Spanish at 8:45am. Crazy! Next week we finish off our travels in Switzerland and then i come home on Saturday Dec. 15.  Woohoo!
beautiful barcelona.