Weekend in Croatia

Croatia Travel Blog

Sunset

2nd to last weekend in London and this time it was off to Croatia.

Thursday

This sun setting at 4:30 thing really bugs!  Just does not give you enough daylight to see everything and fit everything in.  Flight from London was uneventful.  We checked into our hostel (will review below) and off to the city center of Dubrovnik we went.  Parking and walking in it was already getting dark so best bet was to just shop around until dinner time.

Split Walls
  Light shopping we did exploring the city streets.  Very pretty city, all white with red tiles roofs.  The streets were very clean and stray kitties everywhere and down every alley.

Our dinner that night was at the recommended Bosnian restaurant.  It was small and smoke filled.  It is very hard to get use to all the smoke when you are spoiled by not having to be in it all the time.  Every shop and restaurant we went into people were smoking, even the people handling the food as it was prepared (I know, hard to believe).  The food was ok, not bad (bread was yummy and fresh), just different and the 4 tables and smoke filled room may have hampered our dining experience a bit.  The Croatian beer was good ;-).  Once back at the car we discovered our parking ticket ;-( oops I did not read Croatian very well, considering it was off season and things were pretty empty I guess I just assumed no one was really monitoring the parking since it would be mostly locals.  I was wrong!

Friday

On Friday we got up and it was pouring.  We went back into Old Town to do some shopping and eat breakfast.

Dubrovnik
  The pastries there are supper good, the hot chocolate Caryn kept getting was chocolate sludge.  So thick and THICK, she kept asking for more milk to add into it.

Since it was raining so hard, up the coast we decided to drive to Split.  We did scenic stops along the way, had a late lunch in Makarska.  We arrived in Split and quickly found parking with a guard so we would be sure to pay this time ;-).  We headed off to explore Split.  The cities are all really similar with an "old town" and ancient walls around it, however Split is a large city compared to the others in Croatia, 2nd largest behind Zagreb.

Dubrovnik
  I think Caryn and I were on a mission to make up for the lack of shopping in Iceland and made up for it in Croatia big time ;-).  Caryn got some nice (cute) ceramic fish - they are going to look cute hanging somewhere in her house, and a poem print by a famous Croatian poet.  Then we hit the glass shop.  That is where I broke down.  The glass was so pretty, got a candle holder, vase and clock (yes clock ;-).  Caryn got a gorgeous big bowl and some gifts.  Later we wandered into a watercolor studio and I bought a new abstract for my house.  Yes we were doing damage.

We stayed in a local hostel that night and skipped dinner from our large lunch.

Saturday

Yes, a sunny day.  We wondered around the market area of Split, picked up my painting, took pics, had breakfast and headed off to Trogir which is a town near by.

Klis Fortress
  Again like Split and Dubrovnik, a UNESCO site, but some look and feel on a smaller scale.  Not much to do but shop, so pass through quickly and headed to Klis Fortress.  Klis fortress is high on a hill over Split and has a long history.  We explored that and then headed back down to Split for lunch.  Another late lunch (lunch is the main meal in Croatia) knowing we would be skipping dinner again.  We then had to head back down to Dubrovnik

Sunday

We stayed the night at the same hostel we had stayed at on Thursday night and in the morning with light sprinkles we headed to breakfast and to hike around the city walls.

Klis Fortress
  Lots of pics from there and the sprinkles had stopped.  The walls take about 1 1/2 to tour around which when we finished up it was time to head back to the airport.

When turning in the car, being the up standing citizen I am, I gave the parking ticket to the car rental guy and inquired about paying it.  He immediately tossed it in the trash and said don’t worry.  Had we only know……. ;-)

Observations:

Cats everywhere in Croatia... the poor kittys, they have a big stray kitty problem.  But they are very friendly and generally pretty clean.

Traveling in the winter...... I have learned that this is not for me unless there is snowboarding involved.  For now on (except for Marrakech next weekend) all winter trips are snow holidays!  If it is going to be cold and rainy it better be in the snow with the snowboard.  Okay, maybe to the Southern Hemisphere to experience their summer.  Iceland and Croatia were great places to go, but to do the things I would have wanted to do like MTB on the islands, island hop, diving, etc you need the summer months to give it a good exploring.  I for sure want to go back sometime btwn May and September ;-)

Croatia Hostels review
Bokun Guesthouse, Obala Stjepana Radica 7 in Dubrovnik. This was an exceptional value. For a guesthouse/hostel things can get sketchy, but this plac… read entire review