Riding through Surrey Hills

Surrey Travel Blog

tea stop at highest point in England ;-)

Sunday I took a train out to the Surrey county to get a "tour" of the Surrey Hills.  The day was not as warm and sunny as Saturday had been, but it was dry and nice regardless, probably best to go on a long ride in.  I had not been on the bike for over a week b/c of all the dang rain, so I was a little nervous to go do the "hills".

I got picked up at the train station and was handed a map of the route.  Gotta love it, my "guide" had GPSed out the route on the computer and added in all the pub and "tea" stops around the route.  Seriously, riding in the UK is great.

So off we went and I was kind of laughing at the "hills" on the map, the highest point in England is at like 250 ft.  And we were going to that point, the route in all went up and down to 250 ft like 5-6 times.   The odd thing is, when it starts to go up, it is steep, not gradual at all, so while I laugh, it isn't easy.  Pic below is of the tower a guy built to be on his land and the highest point in England. It was a "tea" stop.

The scenery and countryside was just beautiful, rolling hills, lots of folks mountain biking, green everywhere.  Really nice ride and even challenging at times so I did get a work out.

Oh yeah, and I tried another English tradition for lunch.  I ordered a "Plaughman" at the pub.  Basically it is a traditional meal that an field worker would have had, basically gathering random stuff from around the kitchen.  This one consisted of a lovely fresh and warm baguette, nice wedge of englishcheddar cheese, salad, chutneys and fruit.  It was yummy.

I did get back to the city at a decent hour and met my Assusie friend Kathryn for dinner at Oxford St, so good day in all.

tea stop at highest point in Engla…
tea stop at highest point in Engl…
Surrey