Edinburgh and The Boarders

Edinburgh Travel Blog

Sir William Wallace.....at the Castle
Up to Edinburgh I headed. Plan was to stay at the Balmoral hotel the first night and then drive to The Boarders to see "family" land of our ancestors.

Well, just want to put some comments down, the trip was not as expected for several reasons. But The Balmoral was listed in the 1000 Places to See Before You Die. It was a gorgeous old hotel and the staff was great, rooms (and bath tub) luxurious. All a great place to stay and rest your head. Arrived in town late and really only had dinner that night and walk the Royal Mile a bit. Dinner was great, at a place called Jackson's on the Royal Mile.

The next morning we woke up to hit the Castle. Got there at opening time and while they had headset tours available, we decided on the guided tour, always a bit more interactive and fun in my opinion.
At the Castle
The castle is old, but doesn't seem it. It is still lived in and has been built and rebuilt several times. Saw the Scotland Crown Jewels, and all in all a good castle to visit, lots of interesting exhibits.  Since we got to the castle when it opened, there was no queue/line.  But leaving 1hr and 1/2 later, yikes, the queue/line for tickets was horrible, I probably would not have waitied in it.  So get there early.

From there was the 2 hour drive down to The Boarders. Well that was not as expected, basically off tourist season, nothing was open and it was just really dead ;-(. Went and climbed over a fence to see my ancestors castle that was closed for the winter. Just wanted to get closer and walk around the outside, fence was not too big ;-). Stayed at a lovely B&B and the next day, had to head back up to Edinburgh, nothing we wanted to see or do was open in November ;-(.
The Balmoral
Bad planning I guess on our part.

The last day I went to the Royal Botanical Garden, it was so cold and frost was everywhere, the garden must be great during the summer, but not much color during the winter, grounds are pretty, just not so exciting. I did go into the GlassHouses, they had some good stuff in those.

I also went on the Mary's Close tour. Basically takes you underground (off the Royal Mile) down into the old Closes. The guide in costume and acting in time gave a great tour and it was for sure worth doing.

There was so much more to do, but for other reasons they did not happen. I did do a partial city bus tour, the guide was super hard to understand ;-(.

Burr, it was cold!!!!
TRE69 says:
I am going to Edinburgh at the end of the year. How cold was it when you went? Did it rain or snow...Yikes...I can't figure out what to pack!
Posted on: Nov 14, 2007
Sir William Wallace.....at the Cas…
Sir William Wallace.....at the Ca…
The Balmoral
Family Castle (Hermitage, sp?)
Family Castle (Hermitage, sp?)
Pretty Red Doors on the Royal Mile
Pretty Red Doors on the Royal Mile
Edinburgh Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
The hotel recommended us to eat at Jackson's. This restaurant is on the royal mile and located in a basement (so no views). The menu had set optio… read entire review
Edinburgh Sights & Attractions review
I decided to go on this tour, being November I was able to walk in, pay and get on the next tour. The guide is in period costume and acts the part as… read entire review
Edinburgh Hotels & Accommodations review
I only stayed at the Balmoral one night so was not able to make use of all its facilities. The gym and spa looked really nice and I did not eat at an… read entire review
Edinburgh