AsiaChinaBeijing

First Overnight Train

Beijing Travel Blog

Some mad people were up at 04:30 to go walk part of the wall to see the sunrise.  I chose to sleep!  At 06:00 I got up and watched the 'poor mans version', but it was still nice especially when the starlings (I think) came out to swarm.  Had an English style breakfast (egg, toast, jam).  We left at 12:00 and got back to Beijing around 15:00, and headed for the station.

The stations here, at least for the overnight trains, are more like airports!  They are sizable with matching security.  Eventually we got to board the train, which was an experiance in itself.  The carrige is so crowded with people and bags, finding space can be hard.  Where we are there are six beds in a bay, and about 22-24 bays per carriage.  There is one dining cart, and a few sections of hard seats.  I would hate to have that for he however many hours the trains might be!

There is not much to do on the trains.  Sleep is one option that some Chinese opted for.  Us Westerners took to drinking and playing cards, taking an innocent game called 'Switch' and beginning its slow but steady corruption into a drinking game.  Rod, Nicola, Gareth and I were playing till the wee hours.

Beijing