AsiaChinaBeijing

798 Art District

Beijing Travel Blog

The morning was spent trying to post the last of my items...the ones I had forgotten to post the first time around or simply didnt have at the time.  After that I actually got to do what I had planned on doing.

I finally got to the 798 Art District.  Was it worth the wait? Yes it most certainly was!  The place is fantastic.  I could have spent several days wandering its broken streets and dingy looking buildings looking at all that was there.  As it was I had a few hours, I barely scratched the suface.  A handful of galleries and at most one street and an offshoot were all I could do.  Some of the stuff there was incredible - the paintings, the sculptures, the photographs...it would be a lie to say it wasnt insperational at some level.  If I ever come back to Beijing, this will be the place I go to first.  I need to explore it more.  The sad thing is that most of what is there now will be gone in a few months, but it will be replaced by more art, newer art.  If only there were a place like it in the UK...

A bit of a comedown was dinner at McDonalds.  It was dull and boring.  Went to an internet cafe where I spoke to Jo over msn.  Moved to the hostel so that Gareth could upload photos, and they had webcams.  I was able to not only talk to Jo, but I could also see her with the web cam.  It was so nice to be able to see her face again! (soppy I know, but hey...its the truth!)

Beijing