A rocky evening

Cinque Terre Travel Blog

Marina di Riomaggiore

After waking up a little later than expected my roommates Hank and Steve and I decided to hop a train to Cinque Terre for the weekend. We left on friday and when we got on the train we really didnt realize that we had a transfer.  After a little confusion we made the switch in Pisa and we were off to Monterosso. One stop from the city (the last of the five cities of CInque Terre) the train official came by to check our tickets.  He realizes that we are American and starts to tell us that we owe him 40 euro each for not validating out train tickets in Florence. After I told him that I spoke Italian and as politely and as correctly as possible told him that this was our first time on the train over in Europe and we had no idea he reduced it to 5 euro per person.

Street In Vernazza
After that fiasco, we made it to Monterossa and began what turned out to be one hell of a hike to the next town of Vernazza. Although this was one of the most beautiful little beach cities that I have ever seen we tired and hot as we saw a cold ocean.  After changing right on the beach we hoped into the water which as it turns out is actually colder than California. Although there were no waves the swim was exactly what we all needed.  By this point the sun was staring to go down and without a hostel booked the beach was looking more and more promising.  We met up with a handful of girls from our program who were coming form the other direction and we all made the executive decision to sleep on the beach.  We all jumped on the next train to the first town, Riomaggiore, without buying a ticket and upon our arrival we found a cool little "beach" bar that was perched on a cliff.
A view from the path
After a few drinks and a night time skinny dip with phosphorescent phytoplankton we were all ready for "bed".  Sleeping on rocks is not the easiest thing to do but we all some how managed. After waking up to a great sunrise we made it to the last of the five towns and caught the train back to Florence.  By the way who ever told us that it only takes an hour was wrong. Transfer included we were on the train for 3 hours.  However, the Tuscan countryside is very nice...there are actually a lot of castles up in the hills.  Arriving in Florence around 8 we were all ready for a nap and proceeded to pass out for the rest of the night.

Mini Marina