5,5 month training period, Lectoure, France, April - September 2005

Lectoure Travel Blog

The trainstation in Agen

Right now I'm starting the last year of my Social studies, but before this I studied Tourism & Leisure management in the city of Eindhoven. In my fourth year I had to complete two trainingperiods of each 5 months. Those trainingperiods could be fulfilled in the Netherlands, but I could also choose to fulfill one in another country. I decided to do so and in my fourth year I went to France for a little over 5 months. I worked at a campsite in the south of France in a small town called Lectoure. It's a very small charming French village in the countryside. It was a very big campsite with a lot of French and Dutch guests. I had to work a lot so there wasn't a lot of time to explore the area, but I did so whenever I could. I would go shopping in Toulouse or take the bike and go to visit the 'centre' of the town.

Agen

I had a great time in France. I'm not the type of person to work with children, atleast I never liked the thought of that, but it turned out to be fun! I had to organise and guide a lot of activities, mostly for children. I had a lot of fun with the other people from the Netherlands who were there too for their trainingperiods and ofcourse I also made a lot of french friends. We all had a great time together and although I was happy to go home after these months, saying goodbye was not that easy. I had never been alone and away from home for such a long time. I didnt know anybody there before I went and I didnt really know the country (except for Paris and EuroDisney hihi..) since we always went to Spain in summervacations.

Agen
Luckily it turned out very well. I met some great people very soon, learned more about the french people, their language, their habits and it was a great experience.

The last weekend before I went home I visited Lourdes together with a friend and her parents. It was a very nice trip but in my mind I always thought it would be even bigger! We had a nice day and although I am not religious, (I think I am what they call a non-practicing catholic.. I was baptised and everything but I think it was more to please my grandmother. We dont go to church every and my family is not religious really..) I thought it was very special to be there and see all the other people celebrate their faith! Its definatley a place that should be seen when youre in the area.

Agen
What made me think was the nuns I saw there who were around my age. They made me think of how free my life is and how they live and how I respect the fact that they in these modern times made their choices and are sticking with what they believe in. That takes willpower, faith and discipline.

Im very happy I took on the adventure and went to France because when I look back it was just a great experience. I've made some friends for life and it was very good for my own growth. I learned a lot about myself and about that I can adapt to new situations more quickly than I myself or the people around me had expected of me. It was a great adventure.

jerseygirl67 says:
non practicing Catholic? I am a recovering Catholic!!
Posted on: Feb 02, 2008
sylviandavid says:
I like this blog.... you challenged yourself and exceeded your expectations... good for you! sylvia
Posted on: Oct 31, 2007
mario26 says:
so cool my friend !!!!!!!
Posted on: Oct 19, 2007