Less than a week away

Saint Paul Travel Blog

So, in less than a week I fly away for Cairo.  I am very excited, but having a difficult time getting everything done at work and at home in preparation for being gone for five whole weeks.

We decided in the interest of not hauling all of our stuff for Kilimanjaro around that we would ship it to the company that we are doing the climb with.  It is an adventure playing packing tetris and minimizing the size of the box.  Additionally, I am a fairly paranoid person, so I had to keep out the absolute essentials just in case the box never arrives.  That said, I gave the box over twice as long to get there as they said that it would take, and the mail in Tanzania is supposed to be fairly reliable.

I meet Chris is the airport in Cairo at 1:00 in the morning if her flight does indeed still exist.  For some reason she got a notice that it was canceled.  Then she called and they said that it was not canceled at that she was just fine.  So, if we are lucky it will all work out.  If we are unlucky she might be on a later flight.

I have received a ton of warnings from folks about the hassle of being a woman traveling in Egypt, mostly from men.  Not that I don't believe them, but still, I would rather hear what is going on from other women who have more a a first hand experience.  And of course there will be hassles, but that is not to say that we will not be able to deal with them.  That is just how it is.

At any rate, The shots are done and the packing is mostly done.  I was supposed to run in a marathon the day that I left (my flight is very late) but I am just not as prepared as I need to be for the marathon and, remembering the last one, I do not want to be walking like an old lady for the first week of the trip.  And there is always next years marathon.

So, next stop Cairo (actually a seven hour layover in Amsterdam and then Cairo).

chrisrae says:
I will make it there somehow even if I need to take a boat. And thanks for doing all this work! I really appreciate it and I can't wait to see you in Cairo next week!
Posted on: Oct 03, 2007