Climbing my way up, puking my way down

Arusha Travel Blog

So, in my brief moment of stable internet service, I wish to report that both Chris and I made our way to the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro.  Summit day was insane.  We woke up at midnight to start what ended up being an over sever hour trek to the top through straightline winds and cold.  It is also very steep.  Then, after our moment of picture taking we had to walk our way back down to basecamp.  Then a brief rest and another 6 hours of walking down to our camp for the night.  I, of course, got altitude sickness right around Stella point, so the last bit to Uhuru peak was a bit nauseating and the way down...well, I did not eat that day again.

Kilimanjaro was an amazing experience.  Our guide, Arnold (featured in the Kilimanjaro IMAX film, which we did not know till the end) and our assistant guide Israel was amazingly patient.  It was also crazy watching the poterts running up and down the mountain like it was a little hill carrying 20 killograms of stuff plus their own packs.  Crazy.

I also survived the toilets of Kilimanjaro, whcih I must say was quite the feat.  I will leave the rest to your vivid imaginations.  Still, we made it, it was amazing, and tomorow we head off for a safari.

Arusha