Sandakan, Borneo

Sepilok Travel Blog

Nice surroundings at Sepilok Jungle Resort

Sepilok, Sandakan, Borneo.

We have been planning this trip for some months.  Internet is a great tool to use, searching for information about places all over the world.  We wanted to make most of our holiday plans in advance because we had just three weeks of.  And we experienced that this was the cheapest way to travel.

We wanted variation and different experiences for our holiday in Asia.

At Bali we had the luxury, now we want the opposite.

So why not try a jungle resort.  I found Sepilok Jungle Resort surfing on internet.  We had two days in Kuala Lumpur before boarding the plain which took us to Sandakan.

My contact at Sepilok Jungle Resort, Jessie, helped us to make our stay at Borneo full of experiences.  She gave advice what to see and how to get there.  And it is thanks to her we were able to visit Turtle Island.

My sister Siri was not travelling with us on this tour, but Tove`s husband arrived Kuala Lumpur just in time to travel with us.

Sepilok Jungle Resort, enclosed inside a tropical virgin rainforest, adjacent to the world famous Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre, the centre is 5 minutes walk from the resort. It is set amidst beautiful landscape gardens and thousands of acres of tropical rainforest.

The Resort (which is known as Wildlife Lodge) is the perfect place for guest who wish to get away from "it all" to spend a quite weekend with family and friends and desire only to be awaken by the chirping of birds and to hear the sound of cicada in the evening.

Look at me
We could hear and see Gibbons, Hornbills, many different bird species, fruit bats and butterflies feeding on fruits and flowers.  It is set in a 30 acre stunning garden with tropical fruit trees.

We arranged for a visit to Sepilok Orang Utah Rehabilitation Sanctuary.   The sanctuary was started in 1964 for rehabilitation of orphaned baby orang utans from logging sites, plantations and illegal hunting, returning them to the wild as soon as they`re ready.  More than 4500 hectares of virgin jungle were designated as forest reserve and sanctuary for these charming creatures.  And we were charmed…….

LeighTravelClub says:
Great blog. We too were charmed!! I'd love to hear more about Wildlife Lodge. Maybe you could write a review?
Posted on: Nov 19, 2007
Nice surroundings at Sepilok Jungl…
Nice surroundings at Sepilok Jung…
Ingvild
Squirrel
Breakfast time
Breakfast time
Sepilok Sights & Attractions review
Gentle and shy by nature, sightings of Orang Utan in the wild are rare. However, one place you are guaranteed of seeing them is at Sepilok Orang Utan… read entire review
Sepilok