Flamingos, Parrots, Cocktos, Storks and a Hornbill steeling our lunch

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

Kuala Lumpur Bird Garden.

Only 10 minutes from the city centre by car.  The park was established in 1991 and was officially opened by the Her Majesty the Queen of Malaysia, Tunku Bainun.

Located in the serene and scenic Lake Gardens, close to the Orchid Garden and the Tun Abdul Razak Memorial, the Bird Park is one of the largest covered bird parks in the world, sprawling 8 acres of verdant valley terrain. Here, Ingvild, Tove, Tore and I had a field day watching more than 3000 birds perching and winging about freely-in a totally natural and beautifully landscaped environment.

Hornbills, Flamingos, Parrots, Cockatoos, Storks, Pheasants, Mynahs Pigeons, Macaws. Ducks, Waterhens and more feathered citizens and ambassadors gathered together from countries like Australia, Papua New Guinea, Thailand, Indonesia, Tanzania, China Holland, Africa, South America, South East Asia and of course, Malaysia.

While the birds are allowed to fly freely, the incompatatible species are confined in Display Aviaries and specially designed open exhibits. Some of these enclosures also house samplings of the other species for those who wish to admire them at close quarters.

We enjoyed strolling through the park along a maze of paved walkways -    amidst a profusion of greenery, refreshing air, pleasant trills, coos and whistles   of birdsong.

At various points, we to come across miniature gardens, pools and water cascades, bridges, flowering plants, fruit trees and bird - feeding stations.

The park looks a bit old fashioned, but it is cosy and well worth visiting.

After walking around for some hour we visited the souvenir shop and bought some post cards.

Oh Tove, you`r soon to be sharing your lunch

We had our lunch in the restaurant by the souvenir shop.  The food was average but the company at the table was unexpected.

A small black bird decided to keep us company and we first did not mind, but when two Hornbills decided to do the same we found the table rather crowdie.  Tove shared by accident her lunch with the one of the Hornbills, meaning the Hornbill stole her food.

Ok we wanted to be near the birds, but not this near, so we decided to leave the Bird Park and return to my sister’s apartment.

Oh Tove, you`r soon to be sharing …
Oh Tove, you`r soon to be sharing…
Hungry Hornbill