Beaches to Bombs

Swansboro Travel Blog

I lived in North Carolina for a little over a year, a few years back, in a quaint little town called Swansboro. I lived right on the water, which growing up in Ohio I had always dreamed off, and got to visit beautiful Emerald Isle a few times.

Jacksonville, NC is the closest big city, although the city its self isnt  all that large,with a pop. of about 72,000,  compared to Cincinnati anyway. If you're a young single gal, this would be the place for you. Well, that is if you're attracted to a Man in uniform. Which I have to admit, I am myself:P. Because Jacksonville is home to one of the largest military bases in the US, Marine base Camp Lejeune, it also boasts one of the highest percentages of single men between 18 and 35. Even Cosmo magazine(one of my must reads) acknowledged it a few months back, saying "Jacksonville boasts a whopping 175 single males for every 100 single females".  Its easily apperent every day, just driving through Jacksonville, there are always men everywhere. Yes, jugheads they might be, but a lot of them are really down to eath guys who also happen to be amazingly in shape :)  I actually worked for 2 marines when I lived there and they are really great ppl, even to the point where I am now back working for them again, just in a differnt state.

The only thing I didnt like about going on base was the fact that you could hear, not very much in the distance at all, the sound of rounds being shot and "bombs" be set off on the base beach. Guess thats just base life for you, but its not something I was used to. Even back in Swansboro you could still hear the bombs in the distance as well as many blackhawks over head, rather low,  either heading to or from the base on a daily basis.

The pics are of both the town I lived in Swansboro, and Emerald Isle.

Swansboro