Sydney -Byron Bay 4th - 8th December 2006, Waves Surf School

Byron Bay Travel Blog

Seal Cove

On Monday 4th December 2006 I set out from a Sydney Bus Stop on a Waves Surf School. We were travelling from Sydney to Byron Bay for 5 days, surfing at some of the most beautiful beaches i have seen. First stop was surf camp situated about 2 hours outside Sydney and about half an hour away from the first beach we would surf at, Seal Cove. The first Surf lesson was completely different to the 3 hour surf lesson that i had back near Sydney. I found it slightly easier and nearly managed to stand up on that first lesson. unfortunately my confidence was knocked as i was too far forward on the board and ended up nose diving and coming off the board injuring my back and having to be carried out of the water by one of the instructors! Luckily it was only a slight pull and i was back in the water 30 minutes later.

Sugarloaf Beach
We went back to the surf camp to shower and change. There was only one indoor shower between about 15 of us, there were outside showers but i hadn't been in Australia long enough to take my chances with the cockroaches and spiders! We had a few drinks and dinner and went to bed exhausted.

The next day we were woken early for breakfast and soon set off for the next beach called (i think) sugarloaf Beach. the conditions were very rough that day, to make it harder for us beginners there ws a gully whilst walking out into the sea and also a very strong current that dragged me perilously close to some rocks a number of times. We surfed (or tried to) all morning and stopped for lunch around 12.30. as we were having lunch the people that were on the 4 day surf school turned up to join us and we felt like pros compared to them.

Sugarloaf Lighhouse
We had a bit of 'chilaxing' on the beach after lunch and carried on surfing until about 4pm. We went to the shops and got an ice cream/lolly (which seemed to be a rule if you were a surfer) and headed up a huge hill to a beautiful old lighthouse (Sugarloaf Lighthouse) and a gorgeous view. If we weren't exhausted by the surfing we soon were by the climb. We arrived back at surf camp to find the surf school that were on their way south had taken up residents in the cabin next to ours. There was to be a huge party that night and although we all had a good time we were all exhausted too so went to bed quite early (not before the party games had finished though!). The instructors were very dissapointed with us!

The next day was time to pack up and move on, we stopped off at Port Macquarie to buy some supplies, it was my first real taste of a smaller Australian town, the instructors told us to look out for the 'bogans' which was a word that i heard throughout Australia! I noticed whilst at Port Macquarie that i was in agony, every muscle ached and my shoulders were so sore that i could barely put my day pack onto my back! We moved onto Cresent beach which was beautiful and diserted.

Me 'surfing' at Surf museum
The waves were much better for begineers than the day before and i found it easy to get out to sea and so had more energy for the actual surfing. It was here that i finally stood up and surfed properely. I don't think the instructors thought that i would ever do it but i was so determined and i was rewarded with a round of applause from them!!! That was the day that i came to love surfing and realised that the instructors had been right when they said that it was addictive! That night we stayed in a lodge in the middle of knowhere, we watched a Blue Crush and went to bed tired out.

I woke up the next morning with a terrible cough (i'm sure it was all the salt water that i had swallowed!)  and set off for Coff's Harbour to pick up some more supplies for camping that night.

Cresent Head
We were camping in another National Park (Yuraygir) near a town called Broomshead. We set up our tents and went in search of the bathroom facilities....when we realised there were none...there was one environmentally friendly long drop toilet (which i had had to get used to on the surf school) with environmentally friendly flies flying around inside!!!! It was a fair walk away from our tents and aulthough that wasn't a problem in the day time i didn't like the thought of it at night! We surfed on the beach that was just over some sand dunes from our campsite in the afternoon and settled down for a night round the campfire playing drinking games and watching two of the group skinny dip in the sea! The toilet situation did cause problems as most of us wouldn't go al the way there only to have flied flying around it so we went in the bushes.
Surfing's a dangerous sport!
..being told to watch out for Drop Bears, not realising that there are no such things as Drop bears! Most of us went to bed very drunk and still aching but listening to the waves on the sand only a few meters away from where we were laying.

The next morning we had breakfast, went for a swim and a bit of a surf and packed up our things, we were going round to a different headland to take part in a surf competition with a difference. The instructors wanted ust o do something different on our surfboards whether it be a stupid dance or a handstand. I had absolutely no chance but it was still fun. The highlight of the competition was one of the lads who was into juggling had stuffed juggling balls down his wetsuit and started juggling half way through, even the instructors were impressed.

The last supper in the Mexican restuarant, Byron bay
we had a BBQ for lunch and went into the toilets to get changed. it was the first time in about 3 days that i had looked in a mirror and i was so shocked to find a severe outbreak of Freckles, it had looked like i had been taken over, i was not impressed! we arrived in Byron Bay that night and had a meal and awards ceremony in a mexican and then retired to the world famous Cheeky Monkeys.

ON the way home that night me and a friend from the surf school met 2 irish lads on the street looking for cheeky Monkeys as we pointed the way i found that i was going to be In Brisbane at the same time as them so arranged to meet up.

I went to bed that night after saying goodbye to the people i had just spent the week with and slept like a log, i was absolutely exhausted.

P.s we also visited a surf museum run by a very famous retired surfer, who's name escapes me and i also can't think where the museum was!

Vikram says:
I can't wait to read your Melbourne leg of the journey, assuming you went there.
Posted on: Jun 21, 2008
Me surfing at Surf museum
Me 'surfing' at Surf museum
Cresent Head
Surfings a dangerous sport!
Surfing's a dangerous sport!
The last supper in the Mexican res…
The last supper in the Mexican re…
625 km (388 miles) traveled