Sydney, Australia November 2006 The start of my Trip

Sydney Travel Blog

Sydney Opera House

I arrived in Sydney, Australia at 6.30am Monday 20th November 2006 after a 21 hour flight from London Heathrow. I had been planning this trip for a year and it all felt a little surreal. I had arranged my trip through Realgap.com and they had arranged a number of activities throughout the first week as well as providing the e-mail addresses of the other people on the same programme so we could meet up at Heathrow and not feel so alone!

I stayed in Sydney for 2 weeks, staying both weeks at Wake Up hostel situated on the corner of George and Pitt Street. Although i loved parts of the city including, Darling harbour and Circular Quay i was also dissapointed with other parts. Initially i was very impressed with Bondi beach (until i visited other beaches around Australia) and also loved Coogee.

Sydney Harbour Bridge

In that first week i went on Hunter Wine Valley tasting day out whilst visiting a local reptile park, i visited Taronga zoo and went on the Harbour cruise and took part in a 3 hour surf school which i hated although we did visit Home and Aways Summer bay so i was slightly passified. I went on day and night trips to Manly and got caught up with some drunken men who had just got out of prison that morning (although i was slightly disturbed by their criminal backgrounds they turned out to be very nice lads!), joined the casino and lost the huge sum of $30 on the roulette table and generally had a good time.

During the second week i was feeling more like a resident of Sydney than a traveller, i knew my way around and was settled, i had a good group of friends who i had dinner with (we hadn't grasped the idea of budgetting yet!) and went out drinking until the early hours.

Me at Winery
But at the end of the week we were going our seperate ways, i was going on a 5 day surf school up the east coast to Byron Bay (booked before i found out i hated surfing!) and the rest were getting a flat in sydney as they were working there. On my last night we went for an all you could eat Indian (it turned out to be a veggie restaurant which being a veggie I was very pleased with) in Kings Cross. We then went out for a few drinks in World Bar, as i had to be up early the next day i went home at about 10.30 on my own...walking through the red light and druggie district of Sydney to the tube station on my own....and strangely i didn't feel unsafe once!

The next day i was to leave Sydney and the safety net of friends that i had made.

Me and marcus a friend from Sydney