Never fly from Gatwick when you are tired!!!

Gatwick Travel Blog

I swear today felt like the longest day of my life. This morning I arrived at London Heathrow after 9 hours of travelling. It didn't help that the day before I only got a couple hours of sleep and then worked 6 hours before leaving for the airport. Then, as usual, I didn't sleep on the flight. I flew over with three other friends who were going to this wedding in England. Once we arrived in London, we left each other. They all went went to Birmingham and I flew to Madrid to visit a friend of mine. Originally I booked a ticket to fly from Heathrow to Barajas but then found a better deal from Gatwick. Lets just say that I will never ever do that again. I left Heathrow and took the tube to Victoria (while dragging my bags behind me), then waited to take a train to Gatwick, arrived at Gatwick 4 hours before my flight departed. Once I checked, I thought that I could just go to the gate and wait.. but no! They don't announce European flights till 15 minutes before they start boarding. So I thought I had enough energy to stay awake, but boy was I wrong! After an hour of going to Starbucks, looking around duty free and checking my email, I was about to pass out from being so tired,, It hit me like a tonne of bricks. I felt like I couldn't even keep my eyes open.. and to make it worse... I couldn't find a seat near the screens that told me what gate I had to go to!! Finally, after a few painful hours of waiting, I got to my gate and boarded my British Airways flight to Madrid Barajas. Finally... some rest!
photo by: Vikram