San Sebastian (Donostia)

San Sebastian Travel Blog

Musicians on the Playa de la Concha

After a long, hot train ride (several, actually), we made it to San Sebastian. This is the one stop in Spain we made with my mom and aunt, although Alex and I continued to Barcelona after they had left. It was nice to get out to the coast, and a new coast to me as I had never been on the Bay of Biscay. San Sebastian is a beautiful city full of Belle Epoque architecture, white sands, stylish sunbathers, and has the glamour of Nice with a fiercely Basque flare (Basque, or Euskara, language signs abound, for one). We stayed at the Niza Hotel, which is a small but gorgeous boutique hotel with French doors that open up to the Playa de la Concha. When we arrived, after taking in the sea breeze, we found a cute little restaurant in the Parte Vieja that served a lovely calamar con tinto, or squid in its own ink, which sparked my mom's contant quest for squid ink packets.

The next day we did a ton of exploring - much more than I should have taken the ladies on, actually - and saw the beautiful architecture of the town. The ladies, however, were rejuventated when they saw the near the giant San Martin Market in the city center. You can guess what they bought. San Sebastian is also one of the tapas (pintxos) capitals of Spain, so we were all pretty much in heaven. Needless to say, we ate very well on the train ride back to France.

Mercado de San Martin