West Coast of Ireland

Sligo Travel Blog

Hey, we just got into Joe and Sheena's today around 4:00, they live in a town just about 10 minutes north of Sligo.  We have had a pretty busy last few days driving around Ireland, from Dublin.  Back in Dublin we spent an awesome day revolving around Guinness, starting off at the brewery which is unbelievable huge and has a really good tour.  We spent about 2 hours looking through how the stuff is made its a 7 storey tour with a free pint at the top looking over the city, as well as the brewery which is about 2-3 city blocks.   After that we went down to Temple Bar which is the main pub district, and its packed pretty much all day everyday, with about 20 pubs in a 2 block area all filled more then the Raven on Wednesday with live music at all of them.  It was in one of them that i met my first irish accented chinese guy, which was hilarious, cuz he looked like he should have been working at a Telus store or something, just not at a pub in Ireland.  The next day we got our car in Dublin, which is a graet car for us, but the whole driving thing was a bit tough at first, being on the otehr side of hte car and the road.  My first turn I went directly into on coming traffic, but i handled the car after taht pretty well.  We drove up to Belfast and stayed at my aunt's house which was great to get some time to ourselves and watched Ireland play in a rugby match.  The next day we headed up Cavehill wihch was pouring rain but had great views of hte city.  From there we went up the Antrim Coast Road to Davy and Francis' place, which is kind of strange, like being stuck in two different times.  They live on the very northern coast of the island, literally the very edge, right on huge cliffs that overlook Giant's Causeway, so its quite windy but you get awesome views, hopefully i will have got all my pictures up  to show. Adding on to this is that they have no power except for a generator and a wood stove in the kitchen, nonetheless it was a great place to spend some time, as they were great hosts.   Yesterday we left there and went to Giants Causeway, which was really windy as well.  It's pretty cool to see the rock formations but really looking at rocks isn't the coolest thing in the world. from there we headed west to Donegal and up to the very north of the island, and had a late lunch in derrybegs a small town, and we had the best seafood chowder i have ever had.  From there we went down the coast on some crazy roads to Carrick, another small town where the locals speak gaelic not english as their first language and slept up above a pub, which was actually realy nice. Today we drove down to Sligo, a pretty cool little town, it kind of reminded me of Whistler village.  Tomorrow we're heading down to galway and then who knows.

Sligo