Trolley Touring

Chesapeake Beach Travel Blog

inside the trolley

Last summer the Trolley Beach Assocation began running a small trolley around various points in the northernmost end of Calvert County and the sourthernmost end of Anne Arundel County.  Since the ride only cost a quarter, I decided I should try it out one day.  However, last summer came to an end without me riding.

This summer also passed without me getting around to hopping on the trolley, and I knew that Labor Day weekend would be its last operating weekend.  After getting out of church, I checked the schedule of times for the trolley and then a little later, I drove over to the Railroad Museum, one of the closer stops.

Spotting the trolley, I then looked for a parking spot in the crowded lot but lucked out: one appeared nearly as soon as I pulled into the lot.  I grabbed my bag, locked the car, and walked over to where the driver was collecting the fee.  I climbed onto the trolley which has an old-fashioned look to it.  The wooden seats mostly hold two people apiece; two longer seats can accommodate four for a total capacity of about two dozen.  However, handholds hanging from the ceiling increase rider numbers by allowing people to stand.

As we started out, it did not feel as though the air conditioning was on, but opening the windows created a comfortable breeze.

At this point I was back in familiar territory and the novelty of riding the trolley had worn off.  However, we had a few more stops to make before returning to the railroad museum (including one in my own neighborhood where we picked up five more people and for the first time had a crowd standing).

Back at the railroad museum, I disembarked along with several other passengers.  I made sure to get several shots of the trolley before leaving.

window detail