A Total Eclipse...of the Moon

Chesapeake Beach Travel Blog

as close as I could get of the hidden moon

I love the natural world and all its amazing beauty.  I also really enjoy the nighttime sky and all its shining inhabitants.  There is just something awesome in its vastness.

My roommate and I set our alarms for 3 AM to see the midpoint of the total lunar eclipse, an unusual time for two schoolteachers to be up but hey, a total lunar eclipse on the winter equinox only comes around once every four centuries!

It only took a few tries for me to roll out of bed and bundle up in this dark hour of the night.  She met me on the main floor, and we looked out the back.  Sure enough, the moon was in its final stages of turning a coppery red.  We slipped out front to see it without a screen in the way, but after several minutes of watching, we were chased back in by a cold wind.

moon and teeny pinpricks of stars
  She got the screen door to open and from the relative warmth of the kitchen door we continued to watch.

Stars recently hidden by the brilliance of the full moon peeked down at us.  I remembered other nights away from city lights when the sky glowed with hundreds of pinpricks.  My roommate remarked how strange it was to see the stars shimmering with the same intensitey as the round moon.

We turned back to our beds not much later, a full day of teaching ahead for both of us (followed by a full afternoon and evening of a track meet for me) but I crawled under my covers with a smile.  I had been able to experience a natural wonder right from my own home, a reminder that sometimes the traveling does not have to be far at all.

as close as I could get of the hid…
as close as I could get of the hi…
Chesapeake Beach