Relay for Life

Barstow Travel Blog

No pictures since I left my camera at home but what a great night.  My church had a team at the Relay along with many other teams.  In one night we raised $100,000 to fight cancer!
I had never participated in a Relay for Life before, but I definitely plan on doing this again.  To be honest, I was a bit worried about getting tired (hence my afternoon lie-down for 2 1/2 hours) and even brought a sleeping bag for our tent.  However, my friend Erin showed up at the last minute and instead we spent the night just making laps and chatting.  I've had a lot of question marks about where I'll be in three months lately so it was awesome just to have someone to talk with.  Plus, every lap we did, we picked up a bead to mark the distance.  In the end, I think I put in close to 9 miles :)
The event had lots of activities ranging from a volleyball tournament to mini-workouts to a Miss Relay pageant (the contestants were 6 men).  They also gave us a snack and breakfast although we had a table full of snacks at our main tent as well.
The luminary ceremony when we remembered those who have fought cancer--some are winning, others have lost--was very touching.  Hundreds of bags with names illuminated from the small white tea candle inside.
After being up all night, I thought I would be more tired as the end approached.  Rather I found new hope and joy from the dawn.
Dr_Seuss says:
Nice one Meredith. $100k :O well done :)
Posted on: Jun 19, 2010