MD Getaway

Lusby Travel Blog

Over a year had passed since my last visit to my only other official home state, so I was definitely overdue.  Saturday I flew in early to BWI, picked up my rental car, and headed to Annapolis where I met up with a friend from church for coffee.  It was good to hear how Emily's teaching life was going.

After that I headed to Edgewater to meet the newest member of my "family:" my former roommate Kat's one-month old boy.  Boone had arrived in August but it hadn't worked out for me to drive down before my school year started.  He spent most of our visit sleeping away in the living room but was absolutely adorable.

That evening I stayed with my other former college roommate Becky and her family.

Since they had started fostering earlier that year, I had another new face to meet.  Out of respect for the two families, I won't give any details other than saying I loved my time holding this one.  It also was good to see how much Becky's two biological daughters have grown; the younger one was born after I moved back to Ohio so each trip I get to learn a little more about her personality.

Sunday morning I headed south to meet up with the two women that I shared a home my last three years in Maryland.  Christie was back for a family event and Kimberleigh and I got to hang out with them for a decent portion of Sunday.  Her mom lives near one of Calvert County's beaches.  I am not a beach vacation girl but I had no problem just relaxing on the warm sand.

I have missed the water!  Christie's brother and husband took off on kayaks while we ladies stayed behind and talked...and talked...and talked.  After our afternoon on the beach, we had dinner up at her mom's house and then Kimberleigh led me into DC where I spent the night at her new apartment.

Kimberleigh's place is small but well-decorated and chic.  Her building has some nice amenities and I can see the appeal of living in our nation's capital even though I know it wouldn't be a lasting life choice for me.  I loved the view from the rooftop!

We stayed up awhile continuing to catch up.  In the morning we walked to a nearby grocery store and had breakfast before I headed back out again for another Calvert County visit, this time with Erin and eventually her husband Paul.  Erin and I have a number of shared interests so it is always great to share work and life talk.  We also did a little walking although not anywhere close to the mileage we put on together in June 2014 in Spain!

I flew home later that evening, not necessarily physically refreshed for the week after Labor Day but definitely rejuvenated from the time with friends.

happy mommy-to-be