Lighthouse

Lusby Travel Blog

inside the lighthouse, looking up (steps were closed off)

After staying up all night for Relay for Life, I went to bed at 7:00 AM and expected to sleep the morning away.  My former roommate wanted me to touch base with her once I woke up so around noon I called her, got the voicemail.  I relaxed around the house for another hour or so and then decided it was too nice of a day to stay in even if I was only running a few hours of sleep.  I decided to stop in the visitor's center over near Dunkirk to remind myself of what the county had to offer.  I knew there was a lighthouse in the south but was unsure of how to get there.

An hour later even with directions for the tourist center, I found myself turning around and driving back up a road before finding the right road.  A little later as I started to doubt myself again--one of these years I will break down and get a GPS but for now I like figuring it out myself--I realized that the road name had changed to "Lighthouse Rd.

lighthouse
"  I smiled and soon found myself pulling into the parking lot.

I started my visit by reading the informational hut.  Then I watched a little video about the property.  Finally I walked around the outside of the buildings since you can't really go in any of them :(  It's not a really tall lighthouse but it's still neat.  I liked the tiny part of the beach that nudged its way under the chain link fence that kept you from the water.  There is an elevated platform that allows you to look out over the bay.  The Eastern Shore is pretty easily visible from here and important sites along this side of the Bay are marked on a placard.  Always nice to know what you're looking at.

The volunteer on duty was very friendly, taking my picture, showing me a shark's tooth, and even warning me about the state patrolmen who watch the speed of cars on the road diligently.

inside the lighthouse, looking up …
inside the lighthouse, looking up…
offshore refinery
me at the lighthouse
me at the lighthouse
landscape
landscape
back of the keepers house
back of the keeper's house
Lusby