Garden In Lights

Solomons Travel Blog

flower
I love Christmas lights.  When I started seeing signs for the light decorations at Annmarie Garden, I put it on my list of hopeful Christmas activities.  My first attempt to visit the Garden was thwarted by a mix-up of dates.  However, when the incoming blizzard postponed my Friday night activities, I decided to make the drive to the bottom of the county to see the lights.
The night was cold but dry.  It was only about 6:30 and the snow was not predicted to start until 9 (which it did).  I smiled as I approached the entrance, lined with white lights.  I drove around a circle, parked, and then walked over to the main building.  After paying my $3 entrance fee and picking up an I Spy sheet, I headed out the back door to start my walk.
Island Luau

Glowing white arches guided visitors down a path lined with florescent flowers and butterflies.  Just past the curve to the right appeared the first of seven scenes: Island Luau.  Three pirates and their treasure around a campfire.  A rowboat named the SS Minnow.  A lazy monkey eating bananas.  A frog beneath a palm tree.
Two seashells introduced the second scene: Undersea Adventure.  A blue dolphin arcing through the trees.  Two gliding sting rays.  A cheerful orange clownfish.
Dino-Land took visitors back to a time when reptiles ruled the Earth.  A long apatosaurus dominating the background.  A caveman and a saber-tooth tiger.  A burning volcano.
The fourth scene varied from the natural setting: Fender Bender!  A stoplight and traffic police patrolling vehicles.
  Speeding race cars.
Dancing with Stars was next.  A ruffled flamenco dancer.  Romantic couples.  An upside down break dancer.  A disco man.
Nature returned for the sixth scene: Animal Extravaganza.  Playful panda cubs.  Dashing gazelles.  Stoic mountain goats.
The last scene was one of fantasy: Once Upon a Time.  Two sparring knights.  A prince proposing to his fair princess.  A rearing unicorn.  A wizard and his magic.
My fingers freezing, I was happy to return to the warmth of the main building where I perused the exhibit Glow, a set of artworks based on light and its effects.  A group of girls around middle school age serenaded visitors with Christmas carols.
the entrance to the walk