Fair Time

Prince Frederick Travel Blog

at the entrance

Back in Ohio I grew up practically next door to the county fairgrounds so every year I visited the fair nearly every day.  However, even after five years in Maryland (and four in the county), I still had not made a trip to the Calvert County Fair.  The fair opened Wednesday night with an entrance fee of $1 (or a 14 oz package of food to donate to the county food bank) so after working the cross country meet at my high school, I drove the 20 minutes down to Prince Frederick, our county seat.

The fairgrounds is just a little distance west of the city/town.  I was slightly nervous about parking but the attendants waved me over to a space without any problems.

Once inside the fair, I wandered into the commercial building where various businesses and charities had booths set up.

Ferris Wheel
  The library was offering free books; one of the women working was the mother of a former student and she encouraged me to pick up a book for myself.  I also ran into three students who had been on the fair court.

Back out under the darkening sky, I admired the lights of the rides.  They definitely had more and bigger rides here than the fair in my hometown although I think my hometown fair had more of everything else.  I paused by one of the games and played two rounds of Skeeball.

My last stop was the Homemakers buildings with its arts and crafts.  I enjoyed looking at the photography, quilts, and other handmade items.  Seeing that it was close to eight, I headed back out to my car to go home; I had a full day of work and a 7-hour drive ahead of me the next day.

swings