Chestnut Land Trace Trails

Port Republic Travel Blog

Just a little bit south of the county seat of Calvert County, the Chestnut Land Trace offers several miles of hiking.  The unpaved parking lot was empty when I pulled in.  I walked over to a small maintenance barn, signed in, and looked over a large map of the property.  I also picked up a smaller map to help with my navigation.  Each of the three main trails was marked by a different color; the red and yellow routes run together for some of the time while the white trail heads south on its own.  I opted to follow the yellow route, the Swamp Route.

Highlights

Trail: lined with bamboo sticks, the side trail that took me to the top of a steep hill before using steps to return me to the otherwise fairly level path.

Plant: these acres are named after an American Chestnut tree which survived the blight of the 1920's.  Unfortunately within the last two years, this tree died from the disease; part of its trunk remains to help remind us of its majesty.

Animal: the yellow trail runs alongside a creek for a good part of its distance.  However due to a summer of low rainfall, it was dry most of the time.  Near the one stretch where I saw water, a small turtle was hanging out on the edge of the path.

Notes: very primitive bathroom facilities (an outhouse).  Dogs may be walked here if leashed.

Africancrab says:
Nicely written, thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Jan 22, 2010
entrance sign
entrance sign
some of the trees near the start o…
some of the trees near the start …
corn crib