Birthday, Beach, Sand, Snow

Chesapeake Beach Travel Blog

the snowy walkway
With my birthday falling in February, I am used to being in school (either as a student or a teacher) on my birthday.  However, besides the weekends, there have been a few exceptions.  First grade, the first time I would have been in school on day on my birthday, it was bad weather, and I had a snow day.  Fast forward over 15 years to when I was student teaching in PA, the first birthday that I would have been "working" on my birthday, we got another snowfall and the school day was cancelled.
This morning the phone call came through at 5:00.  My former roommate (we still work in the same building) wished me a happy birthday and then told me that school was cancelled for the day.  Honestly, I was surprised; I had only expected a two-hour delay.
snow, sand, and water
  Regardless, I was not about to complain and went back to sleep for 3 hours.
I enjoyed being able to have a thoroughly relaxing day, reading, writing, watching some TV.  In the early afternoon though, I found myself wondering how snowy the beach just outside of town was.  So I pulled on some boots and hopped in my car for the five minute drive (the car by the way, barely any snow on it at this point).  The roads were wet but completely clear and easy to drive on.
At Bayfront I had plenty of parking space and tromped on down the snowy walkway to the sand.  Once there, I spent about a half hour exploring.  The snow covered most of the sand until I got closer to the water's edge.  Here the brown sand littered with seashells ran in rivulets.
bluebird in hanging roots
  I was even able to walk a short distance out into the bay, the ground staying firm beneath my feet, my boots not even leaving footprints.  Above the sun shine brightly for most of my time out there, its warmth making the day comfortable.
I stayed as far out from the cliffs as I could.  The only other beachgoer warned me that stuff was still falling from them, and I did see one small rockslide later.  Plus being near the water gave me more opportunities to play around with my camera.
The wildlife consisted of birds.  I noticed the seagulls early, floating on the water, pecking for lunch along the shoreline.  On my return journey up the beach I noticed a small colony of bluebirds.  They hovered around a long-ago-fallen tree; I think maybe there were preparing a living space within its branches.  A bright red touch revealed a cardinal to me, my homestate's state bird, and I smiled at this little piece of home.
leaves