Saddling up in St. Maarten

Saint Maarten Travel Blog

Horseback riding in St. Maarten with Sancho!

I woke up actually being nervous about today. During last year's visit we did the historic tour of the island which took us to both the French and Dutch side of this unique island. This time we were splitting up. Michelle, Melissa, Scott, Justin and I we going horseback riding. We drove quite a ways from Philipsburg to Cape Bay where we met our horses at Lucky Stables. Here we were split into groups based on our experience. We of course were all beginners.

In order to get to the trail we had to ride our horses down Traybay, a busy street crowded with delivery trucks. Once we reached the trail we followed it as it winded up and down the hillside. The trail led us to a picturesque beach where we went swimming with our horses. Sancho, my horse loved it! Several of the horses proceeded to poop in the water. I laughed my head off as Melissa freaked out as the waves brought the poop closer and closer to her. By the time we rode out of the water, Scott's pants were soiled with poo stains.

In order to get back onto the pier you need to show your sail and sign cards to the Port Authority. I searched for mine only to discover I had lost both sail and sign card and my driver’s license. After security checked Michelle’s, she slipped it to me and I was able to enter the pier. After I bit of shopping alone on the pier, it was time to face security. I told the woman I had lost my sail and sign card but I had my passport on me. She allowed me to pass. When I went on board I faced my next round of guards. Lucky for me, Michelle bumped into my mom and told her what happened. Mom talked to security and by the time I was to the checkpoint I was allowed to pass with ease!

Once on board I went to the pursuer desk to get a new card. This seems routine for me by now as I seem to need to do this every cruise!

1464 miles from home.
Sights: St. Maarten

Horseback riding in St. Maarten wi…
Horseback riding in St. Maarten w…
Saint Maarten Sights & Attractions review
If you happen to find yourself in the beautiful St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles might I suggest you take a break from shopping the local markets and… read entire review
Saint Maarten