American Paradise

Saint Thomas Travel Blog

Me looking out onto St. Thomas

Ah, the US Virgin Islands, my favorite tropical escape. This is my second visit to the spectacular island of St. Thomas. The last time we visited we took the historic island tour (which was fantastic!) so we didn't feel guilty about hopping on a water taxi headed for St. John. St. John is only 12 miles away and is a 30-minute boat ride away.

A vast majority of the island is protected by the National Park service so massive resorts and tourist traps have not tainted the landscape. Our first stop on the island was Annaberg Sugar Plantation, which in it's prime produced not only sugar but also molasses and RUM (!). Today, several of the building infrastructures are still in tact. My favorite building was the old windmill, or was it the rum mill? From the plantation I was able to snap some amazing photos of nearby islands.

Next, we went to Trunk Bay which was voted by National Geographic as the 2nd most beautiful beach in the world. The views were breath taking. We set our belongings beneath some nearby trees and headed out to the water with our snorkel masks (everyone else had fins on, mine were lost in Nassau). It was quite a swim to get out to the barrier reef but it was worth it. Under the water were concrete slabs with plaques describing the coral and fish that were indigenous to the area. Because I had my hair in a ponytail my mask didn't quite fit right and I had difficulties breathing. Water kept coming into my snorkel. A foxy lifeguard paddled over and allowed me to hang onto his surfboard while he adjusted my mask. DOH!

After 45 minutes of snorkeling we boarded our water taxi back to St. Thomas. After eating lunch on board the Valor, we enjoyed shopping for cheap duty free liquor on the pier.

Our dinner table butted up to panoramic windows and as we enjoyed our evening meal St. Thomas slowly drifted into the background. I can't wait to come back!

1338 miles from home
Sights Visited: Annaberg Sugar Plantation, Trunk Bay, Celebrity Homes & Blue Beards Castle

Our water taxi
Our water taxi
Trunk Bay
Trunk Bay
Plaque at Annaberg Sugar Plantation
Plaque at Annaberg Sugar Plantation
An old windmill at Annaberg Sugar …
An old windmill at Annaberg Sugar…