We're leaving, or are we?

Banos Travel Blog

 › entry 144 of 184 › view all entries
We finally wanted to leave today but fate decided otherwise. After packing all our bags and carrying them down to the lobby, we left them in the storage room while we headed out for some breakfast and to draw some money to pay the hostal. Breakfast was great but we noticed that there seemed to be no electricity in town. They prepared some great pancakes for us anyway (must have had a gas stove I presume) and we were on our way to the ATM to draw some cash, get our bags and onto Cuenca. However as we had feared, the banks here have no emergency power supply so without electricity there was no money from the ATM. We also went into the bank itself but they couldn't help us either. Apparently the power was coming back at 5pm so we decided to have some fun in the afternoon and then try to catch a night bus to Cuenca.

With nothing else to do we decided to hire some quadbikes and drive up to the viewpoint of the volcano. Riding the quadbikes was great fun and although we never got to see the volcano (after 3 or 4 weeks in Ecuador we still haven't seen a single volcano because they're always covered in clouds) the man who mans the volcano watch and geological station there was super friendly and gave us a wonderful lecture on the volcano's activity and what he does. While we were listening to him we could hear the volcano grumble through the clouds in the background which, despite his remarks that these were just pequeñitos (smal grumbles), made me want to get out of there and and wonder about his life right next to an active volcano. Apparently they can detect the magma and lava rising which gives them about a 30 minute window to warn and evacuate the town. On the way down we also stopped at the viewpoint for a great view and some photos of Baños.

It had actually been raining on our way up so we were quite wet and apparently it wasn't such a great idea to take the bus at night so we decided to stay another night and catch the first bus at 4am in the morning. The ATMs also worked by the time we got back so we paid our bill, had some dinner and then off to bed to get up early the next morning.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: timbo