San Cristobal de las Casas

San Cristobal de Las Casas Travel Blog

From Cuajimoloyas we had to catch the bus back to Oaxaca which turned out to be the most terrifying bus ride I have been on to date - a well worn chicken bus swerving down a most treacherous mountain road and overtaking trucks on blind corners. I was elated when we were finally off the mountain but fear that this is an experience I probably will have to get used to as we head further south and into Guatemala.

From Oaxaca we then took the overnight bus to San Cristobal de las Casas which was also a pretty bumpy ride but thankfully it's in quite a different league. We didn't get much sleep though so although we arrived early in the morning we opted to take the day off and orient ourselves.

The hostel/hotel we're staying in we were actually offered at the bus station and usually I wouldn't really trust those guys, but I had informed myself about the going rates from the Lonely Planet guide while on the bus and their deal really didn't sound bad. It's the cheapest accomodation we've had so far and we have our own double room with private bathroom and hot water.

After some rest we went for a stroll around the town which is very pretty and quaint. In the evening we had dinner at a nice Indian/Thai/Arabian restaurant with the first glass of wine since we've been in Mexico.

tj1777 says:
Yeah you are gone love the buses in Guatemala - really nice half the drivers think they are racecar drivers.

And if you are anything over 165 high you will have problems getting into the seat.
Posted on: Nov 14, 2007