Salar de Uyuni

Uyuni Travel Blog

We arrived in Uyuni at around 7am after a 12 hour bus ride. What they don't tell you before is that the last 6 hours are on a dust road with washboard surface and possibly one of the bumpiest bus rides I've been on on this trip. Luckily I somehow still managed to get some sleep. As we got off the bus I overheard someone say that that morning at 6am it had been -10 C and it sure still felt like it now.

We had booked our tour in La Paz so we went straight to their offices and waited for the jeep to leave. In the meantime we got our exit stamps at the migration office, post-dated by 2 days for when we would be leaving Bolivia. When the jeep was ready I was quite surprised to find out that the driver wasn't from our company and we were in fact joining another tour. Initially quite irritaded because I thought we got scammed, I asked them which company it was and found out that it actually was one of the recommended companies whom we had emailed before and rejected after finding out their price was almost double the normal rate. I guess we got an upgrade so I didn't say anything in the end.

- Salt Factory
- Salt Flats
- Salt Hotel where you have to consume
- Isla de Pescadores
- Cacti that grow 1cm a year and some of which are over 12m tall (hence 1200 years old!!!)
- Night in Salt Hotel

We were with a fun group of people - Erez from Israel, Haroon from Manchester, Julien, Marianne and Miguel from Bretagne, France. The french guys in particular were crazy and really funny.
photo by: razorriome