Ruta de las cascades en biciletas

Banos Travel Blog

We finally were well enough again to do some of the amazing activities that can be done in Baños and surroundings. For only 5 USD each we rented mountain bikes and did the tour of the waterfalls to Rio Verde. Basically it's almost all downhill and great fun with some stunning views and waterfalls along the way. The only slightly hair raising moment was the first tunnel. If there was a way around then we missed it so it was through we went. It's only about 100 meters long but without and form of headlights and with some of the cars also driving without lights I was a bit worried about getting hit by a car while in there. Luckily we made it through without any cars coming by and the next few waterfalls all had an alternative road for bicycles that went around the outside of the mountain.

In Rio Verde we went to look at the waterfall there as well and the 1 USD to go into the restaurant and walk right up to the waterfall is well worth it. It's a pretty big waterfall with a lot of water so it's a really powerful sight. You can also follow a tiny path further up that involves a lot of crawling underneath the rocks which takes you right behind the waterfall. I've been behind waterfalls before but nothing as big as this and never as close to the water. Oh by the way, be sure to bring rain coats. We had ours with us because it was quite overcast and thank God for that because we would have been completely wet otherwise. When I was standing behind the waterfall, I was actually partly standing under it an I felt water hitting my raincoat like a nice, strong shower.

All in all a fantastic day and greatly recommended.
Banos